[Vtigercrm-developers] 6.5.0 Release Update

Błażej Pabiszczak b.pabiszczak at yetiforce.com
Tue Jun 28 15:54:36 GMT 2016

It's amazing how much you can discuss, how many people participate in
that, and how huge the leader of the project is, and despite all that,
for the past 2 years barely anything has been done. The majority of the
people who are still on the list are companies that create commercial
modules, for whom changes [especially the significant ones] are
inconvenient, because they will require module fixes. For those who gain
profit from the lack of features no changes is great news, for Vtiger
users - not so much.

The vision of Vtiger 7 appearing in Q2/2017 will be postponed a few
times, and to make it even worse, nobody knows what it will include,
whether or not the final effect is worth the wait [time will tell]. At
the moment, Vtiger as the project's leader isn't really involved, and
this can't work in the long run, especially if people want to treat
Vtiger's development as part of their business, and not just a toy.

On one hand I'm happy with what's happening [no core development,
hundreds of missing functionalities substituted by ill-considered
expensive modules]; on the other hand I know that it will also
negatively impact everyone, because Vtiger and SugarCRM influence the
way the entire open source CRM community is perceived. Compare the
development of these systems within the last 4 weeks:

	*

Vtiger: https://github.com/YetiForceCompany/vtiger/pulse/monthly [1]
	*

YetiForce:
https://github.com/YetiForceCompany/YetiForceCRM/pulse/monthly [2]
	*

coreBOS: https://github.com/tsolucio/corebos/pulse/monthly [3]
	*

EPESI: https://github.com/Telaxus/EPESI/pulse/monthly [4]
	*

SuiteCRM: https://github.com/salesagility/SuiteCRM/pulse/monthly [5]
	*

SugarCRML https://github.com/sugarcrm/sugarcrm_dev/pulse/monthly [6]

Looking at this only you can figure out how many people are involved in
these systems, how huge the communities are...you can only see the last
month's work, but the situation has been similar for all these systems
for the past year. I watch these [and many more] projects all the time
to learn from them as much as I can. What I can see is the fact that
open source is not doing well, there are many small projects, and each
of them takes away valuable part of the community. Additionally, there's
a bunch of people and companies who just want to take, and give nothing
in return.

If projects like coreBOS, EPESI, YetiForce, and Vtiger were merged, we
would be in a completely different place now, and what we could achieve
would be bigger and better than any given project.

PS. Congrats on the upcoming version 6.5 that doesn't patch any critical
security errors in Vtiger and client portal :D Each new release keeps
surprising me more and more, great job ;).

---
Z poważaniem / Regards

BŁAŻEJ PABISZCZAK
_Chief Executive Officer_