[Vtigercrm-developers] Roadmap 6.5 and 7

Simone Travaglini simonetravaglini at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 13:59:38 GMT 2016

Hi, good question Preexo.
Why not fork if Vtiger is not reactive to our request?
I think most of us have customers that are looking for Vtiger solution, and
we provide support. First of all is a marketing reason, not tecnical!
Vtiger is a big name in open source (most downloaded, double downolad of
Sugar!). Probably today is the CRM open source with more awarness in the
market!
Make a fork, if we want have success, require a big effort in time, ideas
and money. Someone have to lead a new open source project, a company or an
association. This is time and money expensive and result is not sure.
Becouse make known a new CRM to a big number of potetial user is a big
challange!
That's why we hope Vtiger will change the way how it works with community.
I think version 7 will give us answer. And I think if the change doesn't
come with new version lot of people will consider an alternative way to
work, like a fork.
We work close with Matteo and we know we have lot of code that could help
community to grow, but why share it if the model is the present model? The
present model is good if you sell modules to achive result that standard
Vtiger is not able to achive.

So at the end I want to say we are hoping for a change and we are ready for
new challange. What will happen will depend on Vtiger team! ;)

> On 28/04/16 12:01, Preexo wrote:
>
>> So yeah, I would also love to see a fork by the team you suggest @Stacey!
>> In case the fork is not going to happen, could Alan, Alan, Joe, Andrea,
>> Simone, Manuel, Conrado share with us why this is not an option to them?
>> As
>> far as I have understood all of you are living of selling consultation and
>> CRM customization to companies... wouldn't it make sense to have your own
>> product? Who knows if you would do it so much better than vtiger in the
>> end,
>> but at the moment anything is better, really....
>> Like Stacey, I also hope you give it a think.
>>
> speaking just for myself, what we do is help customers to implement the
> free and open source software that they want in their business. If a
> customer asked us to support their use of Yetiforce we probably would do
> that. If a customer asked us to fork Vtiger . . well they probably
> wouldn't. Customers don't really want us to maintain our own fork of
> Vtiger, each customer has in effect their own fork of Vtiger and they are
> interested in theirs, not creating some new upstream.
> Vtiger itself forked from SugarCRM, Joomla! forked from Mambo, forking
> things can sometimes work, if it makes sense to do so. There is a fair bit
> of work involved in forking something and it isn't clear where the revenue
> is for that. It is a technical challenge, a community building challenge
> and a marketing challenge. Vtiger has a decent amount of market recognition
> already, we have some concerns around the way that things are being done
> with the relationship between the open source code and the on-demand
> platform, but I got a heap of merges accepted on code.vtiger.com over the
> past few days, so I am not too distressed at the moment.
>
> Alan.

Simone Travaglini
328 5499846
Linkedin: Simone Travaglini

Rispetta l'ambiente: non stampare questa mail se non ti è veramente
necessario!