[Vtigercrm-developers] Roadmap 6.5 and 7

Alan Bell alan.bell at libertus.co.uk
Thu Apr 28 12:40:43 GMT 2016

On 28/04/16 12:01, Preexo wrote:
> So yeah, I would also love to see a fork by the team you suggest @Stacey!
> In case the fork is not going to happen, could Alan, Alan, Joe, Andrea,
> Simone, Manuel, Conrado share with us why this is not an option to them? As
> far as I have understood all of you are living of selling consultation and
> CRM customization to companies... wouldn't it make sense to have your own
> product? Who knows if you would do it so much better than vtiger in the end,
> but at the moment anything is better, really....
> Like Stacey, I also hope you give it a think.
speaking just for myself, what we do is help customers to implement the
free and open source software that they want in their business. If a
customer asked us to support their use of Yetiforce we probably would do
that. If a customer asked us to fork Vtiger . . well they probably
wouldn't. Customers don't really want us to maintain our own fork of
Vtiger, each customer has in effect their own fork of Vtiger and they
are interested in theirs, not creating some new upstream.
Vtiger itself forked from SugarCRM, Joomla! forked from Mambo, forking
things can sometimes work, if it makes sense to do so. There is a fair
bit of work involved in forking something and it isn't clear where the
revenue is for that. It is a technical challenge, a community building
challenge and a marketing challenge. Vtiger has a decent amount of
market recognition already, we have some concerns around the way that
things are being done with the relationship between the open source code
and the on-demand platform, but I got a heap of merges accepted on
code.vtiger.com over the past few days, so I am not too distressed at
the moment.

Alan.