[Vtigercrm-developers] Roadmap 6.5 and 7

Conrado Maggi comaggi at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 06:16:20 GMT 2016

I agree with Joe. Haven't been here so long but I seen this conversation
came up a lot usually with the same outcome.

@Sreenivas,

Agree with Alan and Simone. You and Vtiger need to be more transparent
about the roadmap, and what is your vision for the open source version for
the next years at least. Many of us have invested heavily creating modules
and developing a company around this platform.

I'm most concern about your vision. With the on-demand growing that faster
I wonder which role the open-source plays: Lead generation? Letting
companies outgrow you?

You have already change your marketing and no longer talk about the open
source version.

@All
About  the fork, Alan explained it really well.

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 2:40 PM, Alan Bell <alan.bell at libertus.co.uk> wrote:

>  Customers don't really want us to maintain our own fork of Vtiger, each
> customer has in effect their own fork of Vtiger and they are interested in
> theirs, not creating some new upstream.

Vtiger open source is for companies that don't want to pay the on-demand
version or have out-grown it. That means they need they own fork with
custom modules and features that are unique to that company.

The second group usually has the money to pay for the own fork. That is
where the money for coreBOS come (I guess). Companies that have their own
vt5.4 fork

> There is a fair bit of work involved in forking something and it isn't
> clear where the revenue is for that. It is a technical challenge, a
> community building challenge and a marketing challenge.

100% Agree. Viewing this a matter of collaboration and features is seeing
20% of the problem. Who will finance the marketing team? PR Team, Web
development, etc. etc. We invest a lot in our company and we do less than
1% of what you need to move forward a project like this.

Selling support is not an option for us. Unless someone have the ability to
get 1000+ companies paying 200$ a month for support to finance something
like vtiger.

A fully feature on-demand version? Yeah! Oh wait, it's exactly what Vtiger
does. Also, the following forks: VTE (5.4 fork), VTC, Metricwise (niched
5.4 fork), Vt4you, and a few more I can't remember.

About contributions,  if you are really comfortable releasing that for
free. Upload them to forums or your company website, anything will work. I
have released a few simple modules that are downloaded 100+ times a month.
Deal with the support later, for free!

Or commit your contribution to code.vtiger.com. Wait for them to be
reviewed, that the code is according to the standards, don't break anything
else, etc. Do the people on the list know how long its take to get you
module approved and published in the marketplace?

Finally, I think most modules are being sold really cheap, prices should be
higher, look at to Sugar or Magento extensions.

Just my 2 cents.