[Vtigercrm-developers] Roadmap 6.5 and 7

Alan Bell alan.bell at libertus.co.uk
Wed Apr 27 09:08:32 GMT 2016

On 26/04/16 13:53, Ranieri wrote:
> I do not know if the model is wrong, but needs some adjustments in my
> opinion
>
> 1) Remove basic functionality of the system core and turn into paid
> plugins makes no sense.
not sure that has happened (at least not intentionally) - search was
*always* broken. It used to find lots of stuff very slowly. In 6.x
search was changed so it quickly doesn't find stuff. That wasn't exactly
removing a feature, it was changing the problem. There are a few other
feature removals such as putting report graphs on the home page, these
are things that were not re-implemented in the transition to 6.

> 2) Price of add ons. If you have a funcionallidade US 25, US 50 is
> reasonable, because for a reasonably functional core version is
> necessary today 5 to 10 add ons. But Add Ons US 200, US 400 make it
> impossible, imagine a 10 add ons package would cost US 4000!
>
> Example functional WebMail, EUR 199, EUR 400 or check duplicates,
> format fields for EUR 99, too expensive ( for me, at  Brazil .. )
out of curiosity roughly how many users do you have on the system?

> 3) Having to license the modules with each new version. Hard to
> imagine you license the module in version 6.4, a month later leaves a
> hits package just like 6.5 and you have to license all over again?
nope, pretty sure it doesn't work like that, we publish updates and
people get upgrade buttons when the next version is republished in the
store (it doesn't tell you that there is an update, which we have been
discussing with the vtiger team, but they are there if you go look for
them). It might be the case that one day we need to do two separate
packages with different version compatibility if there is a transition
as big as 5.x to 6.x again, but for most releases things carry on
working (I am confident that things will carry on working for 6.5).

> I take as an example the Apple app store for Macbook, you have updates
> to the operating system for US $ 40, other free
for a single user. If you have 50 people in the company that would be
$2000. The modules are a perpetual site license for unlimited users and
it is a business sale, not a mass market consumer thing.

> I think the core team Vtiger could charge US $ 49 for a new updated
> core, for example, why not?
>
> The community could provide add ons without cost or equals values.
personally I am keen on the source always being available, we *never*
obfuscate the source and I have put a few on github which are also sold
for money in the store (some are on our internal git system but mainly
because it is more convenient for us) I kind of like the concept that
you can get the development source if you want, and zip it up and
install it - and if it breaks you own all the pieces. You can also get
it more conveniently from the store and we will help you if you have a
problem with it, you are paying for convenience and support.