[Vtigercrm-developers] Vtiger Open Source and On Demand evolution

Sreenivas Kanumuru svk at vtiger.com
Tue Oct 21 05:53:13 GMT 2014

TLDR:

   1. Vtiger CRM Open Source serves to be framework with many ready-to-use
   modules, and is complemented by Extensions Marketplace that offer even more
   additional modules.
   - Open source fixes are rolled out on a weekly basis to the developer
      branch
      2. Vtiger CRM On Demand is a SaaS service hat is built on Open Source
   framework offering 24*5 support, exclusive modules, frequent updates, and
   security.

PS: this post is in response to Chris's post on 'Yetforce 0.0.3 and other
forks' thread. He raises very good questions and concerns about the open
source and on demand. I responded to the key questions below.

*Why doesn't Vtiger offer paid support for Open Source?*
It is expensive and time-consuming to support on-premise installation when
compared to offering support for On Demand solution that is hosted by us.
Often, the issues related to open source, are specific to the environment
in which the CRM is installed. So, when we fix an on-premise issue, more
than 50% of the time, the fix is specific to the environment, and not an
improvement to he product. So, while open source support is profitable (and
we did it until 2010),  it diverts our resources away from improving the
framework.

*Why doesn't Open source edition have all the features of On Demand (OD)?*
All the core framework improvements, including UI layout improvements, have
been released to open source. I was not exaggerating when i said over
20,000 hours of engineering work has gone into 6.0 and 6.1, and more
enhancements are in the pipeline.

Customers who pay, expect a premium product. Hassle-free hosting, 24*5
support, latest features are valuable benefits..but without exclusive
features, our service will be missing the icing on the cake. On Demand has
modules such as email campaigns, quickbooks, magento. that are not released
to open source.

*How does On Demand help make Open Source better? Usability/Framework
improvements (after OD) vs Custom development (before OD)*
>From 2004 to 2011, until we released On Demand, our business was based on
offering support and customizations to open source product. It was
profitable. But, only about 40% of the customization work used to be
generic enough to go into the open source version. We did learn many things
by doing these customizations and made the framework more extensible (ex:
vtlib), but we were not satisfied. It was not helping us reach our goal of
providing the best CRM platform. We stopped doing the customization work in
2012.

On Demand was primarily driven by our desire to work on features that reach
thousands of users, not a few. We wanted to spend most of our time to
improve the core and the UI. We are seeing results of that in the past 1
year. after spending 2012 and 2013 in improving the core. We are nowhere
near done on this. Our APIs are still work in progress.

We became profitable again with the new SaaS business model in 2013, and
are excited about bringing more stuff to open source users through a better
framework and a rich set of extensions via marketplace.

*Mobile App is free*
We made the mobile apps free for open source users this week. This is
another benefit we could afford, due to revenue coming form On Demand
service.

*Why doesn't Vtiger release daily builds?*
We are doing weekly updates to the developer branch, sometimes more often,
and update the trac tickets. In the past 3 weeks we have been busy going
through all the old issues in trac and closing the ones that are fixed. The
progress is here - trac roadmap
<http://trac.vtiger.com/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/roadmap>.

Regards,
Sreenivas