[Vtigercrm-developers] Questions on Importing Invoice, Quotes, Salesorder

mat mathdesc at yahoo.fr
Tue Jun 24 13:46:21 GMT 2014

Hello Alan,

Thanks for this proposal, please find my reply in the body below :

Le vendredi 20 juin 2014 à 09:14 +0100, Alan Lord a écrit :

> On 20/06/14 08:28, mat wrote:
> >
> > Just to confirm/go further :
> > - is it  actually supported to handle duplicate records for those
> > modules ?
> > - if not, is it a planned feature or even already assigned ?
> > - can I help in implementing it (somebody interested on the list) ?
>
> If you have a reasonable amount of data to export/import and it were me,
> I'd use a tool like Talend Open Studio [1] and build some ETL routines
> externally to vtiger to cleanse and transform the data before importing.
>
> We now do this quite a bit for customers and use the server API to write
> records into the database rather than the user-import feature.

I  have less than hundred invoices/quotes/salesorder.
I guess that it's not worth the TSO deployment effort plus the dev of
ETL routines themselves.

> User import is fine for "simple" imports but when you need to manipulate
> de-dupe, cleanse etc... you could never have all the filters and
> conversions you need in the vtiger import feature.

I agree with this but I am a bit reluctant to use a heavy-duty external
tool for few entries :)

> HTH
>
> [1] http://www.talend.com/products/talend-open-studio

In fact I think there might be confusion here, please let me clarify  :
my data are clean (I've exported them with dedicated sql queries tweaked
form invoice module code) and
with no dupe... or rather only legitimate/valid entries.
That said and as a side remark echoing my first mail :
in the first place, how come same invoice subject could be considered
not legitimate  and treated as dupe ?

Anyway  Automerge can be circumvent and I could count on the import
de-dupe mechanism itself that is already working great
for Leads via process step 3 as it look like.
So my bet would be that "enabling" it for the said modules should not be
that hard. As an experienced dev,
I studied Lead/Invoice modules comparatively and import module, but
frankly  if I pinpointed where this de-dupe code is, still I was
not able to identify "calls" to it or rather (since everything is passed
over in session var) as a starting point,
to localize where/what brings Step3 frame in the browser in the Lead
module.
Any insight are highly welcomed :)

I am still rather keen on  gaping what would IMHO appear as a missing
feature (compared to Leads,Contacts)
on  the said module that adding a external requirement for what is that
I consider to be
a standard use case Export/Re-import (even if in my case I workaround
migration issues) without any data transform.

Thanks for you input & feel free to elabore,

Mathdesc