[Vtigercrm-developers] Questions on usage of extension modules of vtiger 6.1

Holbok István holbok at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 09:18:28 GMT 2014

Dear vtiger Team,

If I understand well the entity modules of vtiger system (in 6.1) create
& modify a new vtiger entity (for example: Contacts, Leads, or
CustomEntity in a Custom entity module) during run.
The extension modules do not create new crm entities, but extend the
functionality of existing entity modules.

In my case I would like to extend the functionality of my *CustomModule*.

If I will create a new extension module for this purpose, then this
(extension) module will create a new directory to place its files.
ref.:
http://community.vtiger.com/help/vtigercrm/developers/extensions/examples/extension-module.html
For example the extension module files will be placed in the
<vtiger_crm>/
                 modules/
                             my_extension_module/
directory and the all objects of the extension module (classes, methods
and properties) will be named by that name *<my_extension_module**>*.

*How and when will be triggered these extension methods to extend
functionality of the existing CustomModule?*

I have found that the only way to trigger the
*my_extension_module->methods* is to place some code - like this below -
to the CustomModule files in the proper places:

    $adb = PearDatabase::getInstance();
    $em = new VTEventsManager($adb);
    $data = array();
    //init data for the Custom Events
    $data = ..... ;
    $em->triggerEvent('vtiger.customextensionmodules.customevent', $data);

In this case the event is always triggered during the executing of the
CustomModule function, but the extending function will be executed only
that case if the
(1) my_extension_module is installed;
(2) the eventhadler is registered for the event:
vtiger.customextensionmodules.customevent
(3) the handler file, handler class is provided in the file
MyExtensionModuleHandler.php

*Do I understand well the original intent of the vtiger structure?*

In some case would be better if the extension (add-on function) is in
the directory structure of the CustomModule.
It is easy to provide with FTP upload to the
     <vtiger_crm>/modules/CustomModule/   or
     <vtiger_crm>/modules/CustomModule/models or
     <vtiger_crm>/modules/CustomModule/helpers  directory and the class
autoloader will do its job, the methods, properties will be available
for the CustomModule to extend it.

*But how to use this simple extending method in vtiger store? *

*Is there any method to install **add-on files via zip packages to the
defined place to extend an existing entity module?*

Kindest regards:
István

--
üdvözlettel: