[Vtigercrm-developers] ionCube/ZendGuard vs Vtiger Installer - What do developers prefer?

Sreenivas Kanumuru svk at vtiger.com
Wed Aug 13 08:26:50 GMT 2014

Hi,

Suggestions from the list have prompted us to pause the development on
Vtiger Installer. Developers can continue to protect extensions using
existing alternatives such as ionCube / ZendGuard / or another tool, and
distribute via marketplace.

As a result, the following changes will be made in the marketplace

   1. 'Try before Buy' feature will not be available on a listing
   (Developer can create a separate 'Trial only' listing for the extension
   with a download restricted for X  days..)
   2. Without Try feature, Customers might express dissatisfaction and
   request refund after installing the app. So, we will provide the ability
   for Publishers to issue refund from the publisher portal
   3. Extension will not be restricted to MAC address.

We hope that this decision will expand the reach of paid apps to more
users. Users will not need to install Vtiger loader. Instead, they would
need the loader for the tool used by the extension developer. ionCube /
ZendGuard seem to be already installed by hosting providers. So, this will
reduce a step for users.

While we are pausing the work on the Vtiger loader, we plan to get back to
this later, and provide as an alternative.

Regards,
Sreenivas