[Vtigercrm-developers] Hosting vs extension-loader

Pabiszczak, Błażej b.pabiszczak at opensaas.pl
Sun Aug 3 07:45:14 GMT 2014

That's quite funny. I’m going to move away from the discussion for a bit
because we received a question from a company that leases servers from one
of the biggest hosting companies in Poland

(hosting: *niebieski.net <http://niebieski.net/>*)

One of our customers asked us to install this extension on our server:

http://community.vtiger.com/help/vtigercrm/php/extension-loader.html#

So we have a question about it. Have you ever come across this extension?
If so, what is your opinion about it when considering both: server hosting
company and user’s point of view.

We have discussed it with our administration and we received a worrying
reply. Do you happen to know any alternative extensions that have the same
functions? Below I include information that we received from our
administrators about this extension:

(hosting: *kei.pl <http://kei.pl/>*)

The structure analyses of this extension arouse a lot of concern about the
security and the ways of updating the package. This software doesn’t
support 5.5 php so it means that the developer stopped supporting the
package for new versions of php and this may cause some update and
compatibility issues with our technical solutions and security.
Additionally, future updates of this software might be even more difficult
because it is proprietary software (binary file) that is very difficult or
even impossible to debug when there are problems with update. If we don’t
have the possibility to get an insight into a package code, then it arouses
even more controversy over its security and updates (no insight into a
package code = no options to modify/adjust the code to our solutions). Even
if the installation of a package would be successful, the closest update of
security would probably (in 99%) disable the service of a module and it
will be impossible to find the root of the problem because it is closed
source software.

Z poważaniem / Regards
Błażej Pabiszczak
M: +48.884999123