[Vtigercrm-developers] caching user privileges

Asha asha at vtiger.com
Mon Feb 13 10:46:33 PST 2012

Hi Adam,

We are extremely sorry for not being pro-active on community contributions.

We expect to put our full effort towards maintaining a co-operative
relationship with the community and drive the product ahead with community
contributions.

I have commented on your first patch submitted.

PS: Please make sure to mark the type of trac ticket as 'patch' whenever
you are submitting patches.

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 9:03 PM, Adam Heinz <amh at metricwise.net> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 5:17 AM, Alan Lord (News) <alanslists at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I think the recent reply from Asha shows that they are "listening" and,
> > provided the submissions are good enough/useful enough, they will get
> > incorporated into trunk in a timely manner.
>
> http://trac.vtiger.com/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/ticket/4128
>
> I submitted my first patch to vtiger over a year ago and have not seen
> a response to it.  I would be happy to see something like, "We can't
> accept 5.0.4 patches, could you please forward migrate this to trunk."
>  Whether or not vtiger is willing to listen, I'm not convinced that
> vtiger is able to listen.  Trac affords no mechanism for watching or
> voting on tickets, so there is no way to gauge how important a
> particular fix is for the community.  Check out this canned "Active
> tickets, mine first" search:
>
> http://trac.vtiger.com/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/report/8
>
> Look how many open bugs there are for shipped releases.  The bare
> minimum would be to sweep all these bugs forward into the Unassigned
> milestone.  Better still would be to expend the effort to determine
> which of these bugs are WONTFIX or INVALID and mark them against the
> current release, then prioritize and schedule the rest, especially the
> bugs with patches.  This bug tracking system is showing signs of
> neglect.
>
> > Forking is only a good idea as a last resort IMHO and there needs to be
> > a *big* community movement behind it. Here I do not see that at all. It
> > would bring no or little benefit and just fragment the community.
> >
> > It is much better to discuss our issues in a grown-up manner and resolve
> > them within the existing ecosystem.
> >
> > I also think that there is nowhere near enough
> > groundswell/contributors/advocates to support, maintain and grow a
> > community fork of vtiger.
>
> With distributed source control systems (such as git), fork is not the
> dirty word it used to legitimately be.  The standard way to work on
> github is to fork the open source project, make the fix in your own
> fork, then submit a pull request for the maintainers to pull your fix
> back into the project.  So I really should have said community forks,
> plural?  I am proposing picking up the ecosystem and moving it two
> steps to the left, however! ;)

Asha
vtiger Team

*Connect with us on: *Twitter <http://twitter.com/#%21/vtigercrm> *I*