[Vtigercrm-developers] Next Release of vTiger

Joey Novak joey.novak at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 13:37:42 PDT 2007

Hey Guys,

  So, I am 99% finished porting the non-MSSQL compliant SQL into Compatible
SQL.  I have a running version of vTiger on my desktop, and all the features
we have tested work fine (including all the modules, custom reports, etc...)
the only known issue that doesn't work is the calendar module writes dates
incorrectly to the db, and I haven't spent anytime trying to fix it yet is
all).  If someone is interested, I have some very unorganized, but mostly
complete, notes located here:
http://www.joeynovak.com/wiki/index.php/VTiger_on_MSSQL

  Again, I don't know what the best way to go about this is, but my Company
is willing to invest resources into merging the braches of vTiger into one
branch that works on postGres, MSSQL, and MySQL.  They wish to make this
investment now, so that in the future, we will be able to reap the benefits
of continued vTiger improvements without having to patch it to make it work
on MSSQL everytime a new release comes out.  Specificaly, they have
authorized me to spend one to two weeks of work time on the effort.

  I can do all this, I just want to make certain that my work will be of as
much benefit as possible to the community, and my company by getting the
work into the main vTiger branch in the svn repository when I am done.   If
I start with the 5.0.4 branch, and make all the changes to make it work on
Postgres, MySQL, and MSSQL with one code base, and test it, how would I
submit my work?  Again, please keep in mind that although I have extensive
programming experience, I have never contributed to an opensource project
before, and don't know what is expected.  Sreenivas's reply earlyer today,
told me I should create a new branch, as I browsed the code, I could not
find the seperate postgres branch he spoke of.  Is it not clearly labeled?
Is the 5.0.3 branch really the MySQL/Postgres branch, and 5.0.4 is MySQL
only?

  If someone is willing to lend me some more guidance, then we should be
able to put forth this effort and achieve the mutual goal of my company and
the vTiger community without using very much more of everyones time.

  Thanks Guys,

    Joey
On 9/20/07, Sreenivas Kanumuru <svk at vtiger.com> wrote:

> Hi Joey,
>
> Today, we have separate distributions for MySQL, and Postgres. It will be
> nice not having to maintain these different code bases. We are considering
> adding multi-database support soon. If your changes help us in this process
> we will certainly look into it.
>
> For now, the best way to proceed is to create a new branch (5.0.3 for
> MSSQL) and contribute your changes to it. Then you can request help from the
> community in testing it with MySQL and other databases.
>
> Regards,
>
> Sreenivas
> vtiger Team.
>

> ----On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 *Joey Novak <joey.novak at gmail.com>* wrote ----
>
> Hey Guys,
>
>   I am still working hard on modifying the parts of vTiger that don't work
> well with MSSQL to work well with MSSQL, and MySQL.  What do I need to do to
> get my changes considered for the next release of vTiger?  It is easy for me
> to test them on MySQL, but I don't know about postgres.  I have never worked
> on a big OpenSource project, so I am not framiliar with the proper etiquete
> for contributing changes, but I think these changes would be valuable to the
> project.
>
>   Joey
>
>     http://www.joeynovak.com
>

>     C) 803-409-9969 (Work Cell)
>     W) 757-233-0834
>     H) 757-383-8523 (SkypeIn)
> "Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes."
>
> Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.
>     --Bill Gates
>
> Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.
>     --Bill Gates
>
> Cope with Life, go buy a slurpee!

---