[Vtigercrm-developers] prefix table in database

Dhr. R.R. Gerbrands werk at r2g.nl
Mon Mar 20 05:08:36 PST 2006

Hi All,

As newbe user of vtigercrm and starting programmer, I have been reading the
forums and mailingslist archive. As vtigercrm grows, we all would like to
see an easier structure to maintain, for example of the db.
I have implemented vtigercrm on my isp with ssl for my own business ( I run
a smal firm for system administrator ) and have done also on a Novell SBS
for several of my clients.

Looking at the tablestructure of vtigercrm we have 192 tables total!
I wonder if prefix tables could be meaningfull, thinking of several
possibilities:
- If someone wants or must use only one database with several applications,
say joomla cms and vtigercrm at an isp.
- more seperation of db: on a 'per module' bases
- another seperation of db: add-on/plugins with there own prefix
- better version control of db, different prefix per version.

>From above I suggest:
.vti_ as default
.vti_a_ for addon
.vti_p_ for plugin
.vti_{modulename}_ for module

or with version control:
.vti_424_
.vti_424_a
.vti_424_p
.vti_424_{modulename}_

It would also eas the use of future migration scripts as migration could be
done in several layers.

Best Regards,

Remco Gerbrands