[Vtigercrm-developers] Reformatting vtiger source?

Jeff Kowalczyk jtk at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 13 15:01:49 PST 2006

Mike Fedyk wrote:
> I think reformatting the entire source tree would be a bad step at this
> point.

Several subversion books have concurred that wholesale code beautification
is a problem for concurrent developers, and historical diff viewing. The
checkin is cake for the beautifier, but the next update/merge is hell for
everyone with modified checkouts planning checkins of their own.

The only way to mitigate is to announce a code freeze on a certain section
of the repository, and ask that everyone clear out their working
copies of queued commits.

It should also happen at a low point of commit activity. I think our best
opportunity would be to beautify *both* vtigercrm/trunk and
vtigercrm/branches/4.2 right before the forward-port of 4.2 fixes to the
trunk (testing to see that nothing has broken on either, of course).

> I'd be willing to take formatting fixes on a per-file basis as long as
> the actual patch that does the reformatting doesn't included any
> non-formatting changes.

Yes, per-file is probably the biggest whitespace cleanup chunk you can
expect to be practical on any given commit, unless there is an agreed-upon
repository freeze.

P.S. It would be wise to do any code beautification only on vtigercrm
modules proper, not any contained snapshot of third party code.