[Vtigercrm-developers] Very important question about JpGraph

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at mikefedyk.com
Sat Mar 4 11:41:57 PST 2006

Jeff Kowalczyk wrote:

>Sergio A. Kessler wrote:
>

>>http://pear.php.net/package/Image_Graph
>>

>I'd also like to ask the prevailing opinion on what the licensing
>difference would be if (graph library X) were an external dependency.
>
>I'm on record as favoring external dependency (with version checking, of
>course) for everything vtigercrm currently keeps private snapshots/forks
>of. My reasons were primarily for distro-provided security upgrades, but
>now licensing issues seem like they would be made easier if we didn't
>distribute third-party software and keep it in our repository.

This only offloads the licensing issue to the distributor, like the
vtiger windows exe and Linux bin distro so we don't gain anything
there.  Also it leaves the vtiger users in hot water.  I don't think
this is a good way at all to avoid licensing issues.

>Let vtiger worry about its own GPL license only. Let the distro
>maintainers, and user-administrator decide if vtigercrm and
>well-specified prerequisites are compatible with their free-software
>policies.

Hold on here.

Vtiger code is VPL (modified MPL) and forked SPL (borked MPL) code.
There are several modules that are other licenses.

Nowhere is the vtiger core GPL AFAIK.  I'm pushing to find ways to make
added files licensed under the LGPL, but haven't gotten very far on that
so far...

Vtiger team, please stop using the VPL and relicense vtiger code under
LGPL *only*.