[Vtigercrm-developers] An Impassioned Plea from a VTiger Integrator

Matjaz.Slak at atol.si Matjaz.Slak at atol.si
Wed Jul 19 07:45:49 PDT 2006

Hi Richie and the rest of the team!

You address me correctly, Matjaz is my name :)

As I belive the 4.2.x stream is the current "production" vTiger
environment for most of the users, my primary goal would be to focus on:
debugging (fixing parts that either don't work at all and/or work
incorrectly)
improving usability (based on feedback from users)

I would also like to try and get the following not-quite-features, maybe
bugs? implemented/fixed:
multilanguage support (simply get rid of any and all hard-coded strings)
full per user or at least per-system localization support (number format,
date format, currency support etc)

These two last items are - in my opinion - somewhere between debugging and
new features. vTiger is already supposed to support multiple languages,
however this support is not well implemented. The same can be said for
localization - vTiger is supposed to be able to support per-user date
format, but again there are areas where the implementation is not as good
as it could be.

Also, based on my researches into existing vTiger deployments, I see there
are a lot of non-english users, but they probably are using forked code,
as due to these two issues they cannot use the "official" 4.2.x stream
code. I would like to get these users back on the team, and I know they
might return only if we provide them with a 100% localisable product. This
will enable them to post the patches they make back to the community or at
least give them an opportunity to work with us on resolving them.

I would try and keep us on this track, rather than go try implement new
features and make large changes to UI - the place for these is v5.

To achieve this, I would first gather any and all contributions currently
lying around (in the forum, as provided by other people here etc.) -
matching the categories above - and start the process of getting them in
the code. I would like to see a show of hands from people that would be
prepared to devote some time to debugging/updating tthese contributions -
as some might need an update. I know me and my colleagues in our company
will.

If all goes well, we could try and implement a regular timeline (say every
month) when we would be releasing point versions. If I get at least two or
three people to help, I guess we could have our first result (4.2.5 I
guess) in two months.

I think there will be people using the 4.2.x stream for at least a year
after v5 is released, and that if we as a team show them we are supporting
them, than they will upgrade to v5 -> if we don't they might start looking
elsewhere.

Thoughts, anyone?

Matjaz Slak
matjaz.slak at atol.si

Atol d.o.o.  |  http://www.atol.si  |  tel. +386 1 510 15 30

Richie <richie at vtiger.com>
Sent by: vtigercrm-developers-bounces at lists.vtigercrm.com
17.07.2006 16:57
Please respond to
vtigercrm-developers at lists.vtigercrm.com

vtigercrm-developers at lists.vtigercrm.com
cc
vtigercrm-developers at lists.vtigercrm.com
Subject
Re: [Vtigercrm-developers] An Impassioned Plea from a   VTiger  Integrator

Hi Matjaz!
I hope I am addressing you properly if not please forgive me and direct to
the proper mode of addressing.

If you are game then great!
Welcome to the club.
Please select your stand-in helper so that at least we have a backup for
Linus Matjaz. Let me know and I will grant you the relevant access.

It would be nice if you could briefly state how you plan to address the
disparate contributions. This is just to get an idea as there are lots of
data floating around in the code contributions and mailing lists; wanted
to know if you have any specific plan. I will be busy with the v5 release
and will not be able to help you much so the query.
I was earlier integrating it 1 by 1 till 4.2.3 and we do have a wiki page
which reflects the status of the contributions. I am not sure if that is
updated till the 4.2.4 release though.
http://www.vtiger.com/wiki/index.php/Vtiger_CRM_Code_Contributions

Allan, any tips from you will be nice.

Richie

---- Sergio A. Kessler<sergiokessler at gmail.com> wrote ----

On 7/14/06, Matjaz.Slak at atol.si <Matjaz.Slak at atol.si> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> If there's no one else, I volunteer to be the v4 Linus.

just do it. ;-)

/sak
Get started with creating presentations online - http://zohoshow.com?vt
Get started with creating presentations online - http://zohoshow.com?vt