[Vtigercrm-developers] Categories / Sub-Categories, Too Much

Brian Devendorf developer at infointegrated.com
Wed Jul 19 21:45:03 PDT 2006

If you haven't looked at the current collection of categories and
subcategories, take a look. I think that it is becoming too much.
Here's the current layout:

My Home Page
Activities
Calendar
Emails

Marketing
Campaigns
Accounts
Contacts
Emails
Leads
Activities
Calendar
Notes

Sales
Leads
Accounts
Contacts
Potentials
Quotes
Sales Order
Invoice
Products
PriceBooks
Notes
Activities
Calendar

Support
HelpDesk
Accounts
Contacts
Products
Notes
Emails
Activities
Calendar

Analytics
Dashboard
Reports

Inventory
Products
Vendors
PriceBooks
Purchase Order
Sales Order
Quotes
Invoice

Tools
RSS
My Sites
Notes

Settings
Settings

I know the list is long and hard to read, but that's my point. I know
and understand that different people will want their sub-modules in
different places. As long as the method for changing this is
documented, I think that is ok. The default configuration, though,
should be simpler. This current layout is almost scary. At least for
an end-user it would be. I feel this change should be made before 5.0
GA.

To simplify, each item should only appear in one category. I have an
updated proposal below that is the closest to meeting most of my
customer's needs. With the All Menu, Quick Create, Related Items, and
Tag Cloud, it shouldn't matter much if some modules are on different
categories. I hope that there are still plans on combining activities
and calendar into one item as well (I believe this was put off until
after 5.0 GA).

I think that an interface for managing these should also be planned
post 5.0 GA. I also think the order of the items is important and
(where relevant) the order should remain consistent. For example, the
sub categories should remain in the same order under the category as
it shows in the All Menu.

What does everyone else think? Anyone else show this to existing
clients and get questions about why the same module appears in many
places? That's what got me started thinking of improvements. Any
better ideas?

My Home Page
Emails
Activities