[Vtigercrm-developers] Licensing discussion: WAS [Re: Vtiger 7 Features (preliminary list) (B?a?ej Pabiszczak)]

Błażej Pabiszczak b.pabiszczak at yetiforce.com
Wed Nov 2 10:41:21 GMT 2016

@Sreenivas

1. If a programmer sends you code under any license [eg. VPL] then it in
no way whatsoever protects you from theft that this person could've
committed. This is what CLA is for, so that the programmer takes the
responsibility, not you. I recommend you read:
https://www.clahub.com/pages/why_cla [3]

2. Showing a single point on the map has no business value, it looks
nice but it doesn't really do anything. You can do it right, especially
that it's already finished in our system, all you got to do it move it
to your system [took us 5 days to build the map from scratch, moving it
should be max 2 days]. You'll get:

 	* OpenStreetMap integration
the records list level
 	* Ability to group objects on the map
 	* Ability to calculate routes between objects
 	* Ability to color by attributes [eg. branch]
 	* Ability to search within radius

3. Why do you still keep ZIP files in your project? It's a pain to
manage them… This was the first thing we got rid of when we created our
fork.

4. Connect GIT with TravisCI or some other mechanism used for unit
tests, because this is how a programmer knows whether or not his change
broke anything in the system.

---
Z poważaniem / Regards

BŁAŻEJ PABISZCZAK
_Chief Executive Officer_
M: +48.884999123
E: b.pabiszczak at yetiforce.com
-------------------------

YetiForce 3.0 LTS has arrived! Test [4] the latest, most innovative open
source system in the world, and join [5] our community.

W dniu 2016-10-28 14:50, Sreenivas Kanumuru napisał(a):

> Alan,
>
> If a developer has contributed a merge request on code.vtiger.com [1] to Vtiger project, then the code will carry the same VPL license (Mozilla license) as the project. If a developer doesn't want to license the contribution under VPL license, then we may not include the contribution.
>
> Google Maps is loosely coupled, with a popup showing the location of the contact/org on the map. Instead of a popup, if we show the same in a new window by directly taking the user to maps.google.com [2] then the license would not be required. We will make this change in V7 version.
>
> thank you,
> Sreenivas
> On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 3:39 PM, Alan Lord <alanslists at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 28/10/16 09:23, Błażej wrote:
>
> On the other hand, Vtiger keeps ignoring the license conditions. For
> example:
>
> * Integration with Google Maps without the free license from Google
> [which means that everyone who downloads Vtiger should purchase
> Google license which is very expensive]
> +1 for breaching Google Maps' license terms. I have raised this many times myself.
>
> * Includes files under the GPL license.
> I just grepped the source and was not able to find a GPL license header... Do you have an example? I found plenty of dual licensed code, MIT & GPL, BSD & LGPL, which are fine and also some LGPL which should also be fine.
>
> * Doesn't require CLA for the changes uploaded by community [which is
> dangerous, mostly for Vtiger itself].
> Interesting thought.
>
> Al

http://www.vtiger.com/