[Vtigercrm-developers] How to extend feature such as Global Search without core modifications ?

John Crisp john at reetspetit.net
Thu Feb 18 12:05:32 GMT 2016

On 17/02/16 19:13, Alan Bell wrote:

> On 16/02/16 13:19, John Crisp wrote:
>> Yes I understand the business mechanics of it. (I'm not a tech guy at
>> all really) Posting different extensions at different prices is no
>> judge really. Yes, same product at differing price points may help.

> yeah, but we can't do that, the marketplace is what it is.

Indeed.

> the evidence we have suggests that we wouldn't get more sales by
> dropping the prices at the moment, I think if you are selling 10 per
> month at $100 then dropped the price to $10 I think you would still sell
> 10 per month as there is nobody failing to purchase because of the
> price, it just isn't like a phone app market where there are millions of
> users doing price-sensitive impulse buys. If you have data to suggest
> that low prices would give large volumes in the vtiger store then I
> would certainly be interested in it.

Yes, I was agreeing with you..... I understand the economics of it.

>> It really depends on how many users you have..... In my case only 5
>> currently. And pay once ? For every future version of vtiger ? I guess
>> not......
> yes, it appears that this is the way the marketplace works, pay once,
> get upgrades. I am not sure if it is possible to do something with the
> manifest to have multiple versions of an extension in the marketplace
> that are valid for different versions of vtiger. I think it is basically
> pay once, it works forever. (or until something breaks and the developer
> doesn't release an update).

Thanks for the clarification - interesting.

> What I would actually like to see is pay once, support lasts for a year,
> then you can pay again if you want to get another year of support, and
> something in the marketplace console to indicate whether people are
> current on support, but failing that pay once and works forever is fine
> by me.

Clearly in the hands of vtiger, who as we know aren't always the most
responsive of companies ;-) That would be a much better economic model
for you undoubtedly.

>> No, it isn't a big expense per se (and I don't know whether you price
>> differently for different parts of the world as that can make a big
>> difference for some), but if I wanted 3 or 4 modules.... that can be a
>> lot per head in a small company where every penny counts.
> we can't price differently for different parts of the world in the
> marketplace (not sure I would want to really)

Because not all countries are equal. Global economics, average incomes
etc. €100 may be a drop in the ocean to me, but much more expensive pro
rata in say India where incomes are much lower. Hence many companies
have outsourced production and services abroad because it is much
cheaper relatively.

>> What makes a difference is that if I upgrade from 5.4 to 6 I instantly
>> have to pay for various things that were effectively free before. That's
>> a turn off for a start.

> yeah, and there are some modules that really should be core
> functionality, for example report charts used to be available as home
> page widgets, but that feature has gone and there are some modules that
> bring it back. I am quite tempted to code up the required widget and
> just submit it to code.vtiger.com rather than try and sell that one. You
> can always contribute stuff to core, but some things wouldn't be
> accepted as a general purpose extension. Some things like encrypted
> portal passwords just need to be there as standard so that is something
> we are working on getting into the core. Others like the geotools maps
> extension are new extended chunks of functionality that some people have
> a use for and work well as paid extensions.

Indeed. as I said below....

>> Paying for extra/new items - fine. But you get the feeling that as a
>> little fish you have been thrown on the spear of corporate profit, and
>> that doesn't feel very good - you just feel like a commodity to monetise.
>>
>> I'm sure a lot of vTiger users left Sugar for this reason. vTiger just
>> feels like it is heading back to become just another Sugar.

B. Rgds
John