[Vtigercrm-developers] Roadmap 6.5 and 7

Alan Bell alan.bell at libertus.co.uk
Thu Apr 28 10:38:58 GMT 2016

On 27/04/16 17:35, Ranieri wrote:
> Hi Alan. Thanks for your response!
>
> See'm thinking of a general way, not under the specifc module search,
> okay?
>
> The initial version 6, lost this global search, but other features
> such as creating a dashboard for the report, graphic, at the beginning
> was not the manager pbx, features that were introduced later.
yeah, I kind of view those as things that just didn't get enough time
put into re-implementing them for 6, there were some regressions and I
hope they come back

> In the meantime, it should be licensed to third parties. Remember I am
> commenting in general ...
>
> When I commented on the add on, I have in mind, I do not know if it is
> correct, that there are more than 10,000 Vtiger installation on the
> world, is right?
>
> And I'm talking 5 to 10 users on a system.
>
> We have also more than once, we had problems in add ons that are
> developed and then the developer himself abandons its evolution, is
> too bad.
yes, this is a key aspect of software freedom, which we talk to
customers about. If you have the source code, and the freedom to modify
it then if a developer abandons it then you have the ability to continue
it yourself or get someone else to do so. Sometimes it turns out that
stuff is abandoned for good reasons though, and the cost of maintaining
it might not be worth it, but at least you have the freedom to try if
you want to.

> I agree with you that it is good to have access to the source is the
> basis of everything.
>
> What I suggested a way to reduce the gap of patches and features that
> are the version on demand for open source, is  core of vtiger team
> could also provide these features, even if paid, is an idea only.

yes, I would very much like vtiger to sell some of the on demand
extensions to the open source users. By all means price them so that
getting them with on-demand is attractive, but some people just want it
internally, and want to customise it more than on-demand can do.