[Vtigercrm-developers] Bugs etc - Was password vs accessKey

John Crisp john at reetspetit.net
Wed Apr 17 20:02:18 UTC 2013

On 17/04/13 19:40, Adam Heinz wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 10:25 AM, Adam Heinz <amh at metricwise.net
> <mailto:amh at metricwise.net>> wrote:
>
>     Instead I get crickets and dust.
>

> Since I've had a week to cool off with no response,

Only a week ? :-)

> I thought I'd add to
> my list of projects to improve developer experience:

And user experience too....

> - Booleans in the database should be TINYINT(1), with 1 = true and 0
> false, not the current confusing mix.
> - Replace custom vt_DateTime and DateTimeField classes with integer time
> or core PHP DateTime class.  Code is like makeup; less is more.  This is
> part of a larger problem of too much code.  Please please please use
> Zend or PEAR or ADOdb or any of the other common frameworks that have
> thousands of users and their own development teams and years of working
> proof and take all that work off of your plate. You've spent a year
> implementing your own custom MVC -- now you get to maintain it and
> you've lost all that time.  I'm half inclined to see if I can implement
> Zend Framework MVC in a weekend that is backwards compatible with
> existing files.
> - When you push code to the public svn, push it as individual change
> sets so that developers can backport patches to old version, or get a
> better understanding of why things are built the way they are.  Better
> yet, work in the public svn and merge fixes into your hidden OnDemand
> branch.  If you do that, developers can give you timely feedback on your
> changes -- or maybe even help with the implementation.  The same is true
> of Trac -- bugs should be closed as they are fixed and the code should
> be visible and linked from the bug at that time.

I'm no developer, but I couldn't agree more.

Even I can pull in the odd change from svn, but  as I have said before,
the whole 'fixes' thing at the minute is a complete disaster area. Quite
frankly, and being perfectly honest if a little blunt, it sucks.

I am fortunate in that by and large, and excepting the odd minor hack,
vTiger does what we want as is. If I had a larger organisation I would
be looking elsewhere for a CRM.....

Will vTiger ever get the fact that they have a willing community that
would love to be more involved which they by and large ignore, or at
best pay lip service too  ? How many times do we see keen new
individuals arrive, only to get more and more frustrated when they are
ignored, and then leave ???

(I am currently kind of leading SME server/contibs.org and we have
similar malaises that we are trying to cure)

This is not an attack on vTiger individuals as there are many well
meaning guys. But you just feel their hands are tied with an invisible cord.

As I have said so often. vTiger is great. It could be SO much greater.

But for reason or reasons unknown to us all the powers that be still
choose to ignore everyone and carry on as they are. The profits must be
good somewhere.....

I can only assume that the management feel that if people try it, and
like it, but are frustrated with things, they will pay for the full service.

Sorry, but many prospective clients looking round here would probably
shoot themselves before signing up.

The community is the vTiger advertising board, and from where I sit, it
doesn't look good. You might sign some customers, but how many silently
walk away ????

So please vTiger, listen to the words of Adam and other top developers.
They ARE right. Give them a chance to help make vTiger the best there is.

B. Rgds
John