[Vtigercrm-developers] Please help - How does the Open Source development works about VTiger?

Marian Banica marian at webio.ro
Wed Sep 19 03:28:54 PDT 2012

Hei guys,

I think that "some guys from Romania that are asking for money" refers to
us.
We've asked Detlef if he is interested to pay for development of this
feature and after that to make it open to the community.

Just to be clear as Alan says we are developers here. We invest OUR TIME in
making VTiger to work for us or for our clients. Open source (as we use it)
it means freedom to use the code, to do what you want and if you want to
contribute back to the community to do this.
On other words it will mean that if you want a feature and you are not able
to do it on your own a good idea is to ask a developer from here to do this
(for money or for free). If you find a nice one to do it for free for you
then is perfect. Otherwise as in business you have to pay. (open source is
not equal with free).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_models_for_open-source_software
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commercial_open-source_applications

P.S i really think this question is more related to other mailing list then
this (vtiger users)
Marian

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 2:13 AM, Alan Lord (News) <alanslists at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 19/09/12 10:06, mail at dvoges.de wrote:
> > Dear Alan,
> >
> > I write to you, because I see you are very active in the VTiger
> > Development discussions and I don?t want to spam to all developers. Can
> > you help me getting on track with VTiger?
> >
> > As you could see I had two questions in the last days and I am willing
> > to fix this by my own, but I don?t know how to start.
> >
> > The first question about the build-in backup was answered with: ?Do it
> > from extern?. To my second question about individual Email SMTP Hosts I
> > got three answers, 1) Why; 2) It is complicated; 3) Some guys from
> > Romania want to this for money. Beside this, there was an unnecessary
> > discussion about blacklists and spamming with mails.
> >
> > MY MAIN QUESTION IS: How does the Open Source development works about
> > VTiger?
> >
> > There are two large Sites www.vtiger.com and www.vtiger.de but on both
> > sides it seems they only want to sell their services. Is there someone
> > like ?Linus Thorvald? for Linux, who keeps the strings together? I still
> > don?t know how a version is build and how I can add some code from my
> side.
> >
> > Thanks and greeting from Germany
> >
> > Detlef Voges
> >

> > PS: I see nothing bad about earning money with VTiger, but I don?t find
> > any way to participate.
>

> Submit code and/or start reading the Wiki and asking questions.
>
> I should think most of us on the list make money from vtiger. It is one
> of my company's most active products.
>
> But we also contribute ideas and code back to the community. That's the
> way it works.
>
> Please keep on the mailing list - I don't use this email account for
> anything other than mailing lists.
>
> Alan
>
> --
> Libertus Solutions