[Vtigercrm-developers] HelpDesk constructUpdateLog() function

Alan Lord alanslists at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 00:24:45 PDT 2012

I've been looking at the HelpDesk module and the way we can send emails
based on vtiger email templates that our customers would be able to edit
so they look right for their business.

The Update History email field is really useful but not very well
executed in my opinion.

The output of this field

"
Status Changed to In Progress\. Priority Changed to Low\. Severity
Changed to Minor\. Category Changed to Big Problem\. -- Tuesday 03rd
July 2012 02:23:55 PM by admin--//--
"

is a bit of a mess and includes data that has not changed. I set up a
test workflow and changed only the Status picklist in the above example.

In the HelpDeskHandler.php file there appears to be a more elegant
system based on the VTEntityDelta().

If I add a comment to a ticket it immediately sends an email (no
workflow here?) with a "dump" of all the comments in an unformatted
manner with no indication of what has changed or when.

If anything else on the ticket is edited one must wait for the workflow
job to run. This is inconsistent with the above.

Before I go re-inventing the wheel, it strikes me that

1. The default workflows for Tickets need seriously looking at.
2. ModTracker could remove the need for the Ticket History block and as
such the constructUpdateLog() function could be improved to provide some
useful data that could be used for customer notifications in custom
email templates...

If there are any plans or thoughts on this I'd be delighted to hear them.

Cheers