[Vtigercrm-developers] Managing versions in Document module

Manilal K M manilal at ejyothi.com
Tue Nov 8 05:02:18 PST 2011

Hello all,
  I have submitted a feature request in vTiger forum. Cross-posting it here for your attention: http://forums.vtiger.com/viewtopic.php?f=105&t=50191

The Documents module should be able to manage multiple versions/revisions of a document. Currently, there is a provision to enter the version number of a document, but it is not possible to retrieve the older versions. This applies to both external and internal files.

Ideally, if the version number is changed, the system should store the older version and allow the user to retrieve from the DetailView of Document. While creating the document, the user should be able to specify whether the system needs to maintain versions for it. This way, we can avoid the overhead of storing all the changes in a document. If the user chose to maintain versions, then the system should automatically increment the version number each time the user edits the document.

This would be a highly desirable feature, since we are storing the SOW and contracts which are periodically changed and older versions are needed for accounting and audit purposes.

thanks

--
Manilal K M
eJyothi Services