[Vtigercrm-developers] Managing versions in Document module

praneeth K praneeth at vtiger.com
Tue Nov 8 07:26:01 PST 2011

HI Manilal,

        vtiger Documents module does not act as DMS and track the version
changes. It is an interesting feature enhancement, we have noted it on
http://trac.vtiger.com/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/ticket/7209

We would like to hear from community developers who are interested to pick
up this feature.

Related forge project:
                  http://forge.vtiger.com/projects/documents/

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 6:32 PM, Manilal K M <manilal at ejyothi.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>  I have submitted a feature request in vTiger forum. Cross-posting it here
> for your attention: http://forums.vtiger.com/viewtopic.php?f=105&t=50191
>
> The Documents module should be able to manage multiple versions/revisions
> of a document. Currently, there is a provision to enter the version number
> of a document, but it is not possible to retrieve the older versions. This
> applies to both external and internal files.
>
> Ideally, if the version number is changed, the system should store the
> older version and allow the user to retrieve from the DetailView of
> Document. While creating the document, the user should be able to specify
> whether the system needs to maintain versions for it. This way, we can
> avoid the overhead of storing all the changes in a document. If the user
> chose to maintain versions, then the system should automatically increment
> the version number each time the user edits the document.
>
> This would be a highly desirable feature, since we are storing the SOW and
> contracts which are periodically changed and older versions are needed for
> accounting and audit purposes.
>
> thanks
>
> --
> Manilal K M