[Vtigercrm-developers] About role / profile / groups

Asha asha at vtiger.com
Wed Aug 31 12:50:30 PDT 2011

Hi Pere,

You need to create profile, which clearly controls what modules and fields
can a user with this particular profile view/edit or delete.

You can have multiple profiles for a user, through multiple roles.

So you basically create profiles for least permissions required to highest
permissions, upward. You can split up one particular profile into multiple
profiles, so that specific smaller profiles can be reused across multiple
roles.

Hope this will help you to get started with profile and role creation.

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 5:35 PM, Pere <porga at fundacioequilibri.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are trying to understand the behavior of role / profile / groups in
> vtiger CRM.
> Currently our organization needs a record-level access control system
> that can handle this requirements:
> Group1
>  Subgroup1.1 (Publishers)
>  Subgroup1.2 (Readers)
>
> Group2
>  Subgroup2.1 (Publishers)
>  Subgroup2.2 (Readers)
> GroupN
>  SubgroupN.1 (Publishers)
>  SubgroupN.2 (Readers)
>
> All users can see everything.
> Users of Subgroup1.1 (publishers of Group1) should be able to edit
> accounts and other entities whose ownership is Group1.
> Users of Subgroup2.1 (publishers of Group2) should be able to edit
> accounts and other entities whose ownership is Group2.
> Users of SubgroupN.1 (publishers of GroupN) should be able to edit
> accounts and other entities whose ownership is GroupN.
> No one else can edit.
>
> We don't know the proper way to implement this in vtiger CRM
> administrator page, and we have found it someway confusing:
> 1. When we try to create a group we see that first we have to create users.
> 2. When we try to create users we see that first we have to create roles.
> 3. When we try to create roles we see that first we have to create a
> profile.
> 4. We don't know what type of profile we have to create.
>
> Any hints are welcome.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Pere