[Vtigercrm-developers] About role / profile / groups

Pere porga at fundacioequilibri.org
Tue Aug 30 05:05:36 PDT 2011

Hi,

We are trying to understand the behavior of role / profile / groups in
vtiger CRM.
Currently our organization needs a record-level access control system
that can handle this requirements:
Group1
  Subgroup1.1 (Publishers)
  Subgroup1.2 (Readers)

Group2
  Subgroup2.1 (Publishers)
  Subgroup2.2 (Readers)
GroupN
  SubgroupN.1 (Publishers)
  SubgroupN.2 (Readers)

All users can see everything.
Users of Subgroup1.1 (publishers of Group1) should be able to edit
accounts and other entities whose ownership is Group1.
Users of Subgroup2.1 (publishers of Group2) should be able to edit
accounts and other entities whose ownership is Group2.
Users of SubgroupN.1 (publishers of GroupN) should be able to edit
accounts and other entities whose ownership is GroupN.
No one else can edit.

We don't know the proper way to implement this in vtiger CRM
administrator page, and we have found it someway confusing:
1. When we try to create a group we see that first we have to create users.
2. When we try to create users we see that first we have to create roles.
3. When we try to create roles we see that first we have to create a profile.
4. We don't know what type of profile we have to create.

Any hints are welcome.

Pere
porga at fundacioequilibri.org

Fundació Equilibri