[Vtigercrm-developers] Probable bug with Search?

Alan Lord (News) alanslists at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 03:12:40 PST 2010

On 11/02/10 09:52, Prasad wrote:
> Hi Alan,
>
> "Patricia Johnson" is combination of (firstname, lastname) fields. Hence
> the search fails, but
> splitting the value succeeds in either firstname or lastname.

Yes, I understood *why* the search failed.

> Providing search on combination of fields might not be generic, the
> solution could end-up
> specific or targeted on few fields which needs to be thought about.

Yes, I agree with this.

There is another "quick fix" solution just for names, which is to create
a custom field (I called it "Known as") and add a field formula to it:

concat (firstname, " ", lastname)

This is the same kind of idea used by many other systems and is what the
Thunderbird Address Book does in its field "Display".

With this addition, it is now possible to search on the full name. Of
course this needs to be duplicated in both the Leads & Contacts modules.

Perhaps this would be a good addition as a standard feature rather than
having to create custom fields? Many systems have a "Display Name" field
which is this concatenation of first/last names...

On a secondary note, is there a list anywhere of the functions and
syntax that is allowed in Field Formulas? The Wiki doesn't contain a
language guide from what I can see.

Cheers

Alan

--