[Vtigercrm-developers] MS SQL Installation Walkthrough so far...

Joey Novak joey.novak at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 07:52:16 PDT 2007

Enrico,

  Have you looked at MySQL 5 lately?  It has advanced far far beyond it's
SQL Enabled Card File Status.  While it doesn't posses many of the easier to
use options of MS SQL, I feel it is a serious competitor in the DBMS Market.

  No chance I can get them to go with Postgres, we have no one with
experience, and we have 2 MySQL DBA's and a MSSQL DBA, so it just won't
happen, we would be wasting those resources if we switched to Postgres.

  If we can get vTiger running on MS SQL, then it is definatly a go to
switch to vTiger, and there are LOTS of customizations we will need.  The
largest being an Integrated Billing System.  My manager is supportive of
aiding the OpenSource community, so there is a fairly good chance that we
could contribute financial support to parts of vTiger that are lacking to
us.  But, if it won't run on MS SQL, then the odds of us adopting it are
less then 20%.

  I have spent just a few hours on the vTiger MSSQL problem, here is what I
have so far (It looks like such a meager amount for the time spent).

  http://www.joeynovak.com/wiki/index.php/VTiger_on_MSSQL

  I wonder why the faq table has an autoincrement for the foreign key to the
crmentity table.  While this makes it work fine in MySQL, it doesn't float
with MS SQL.  Which makes sense, I mean, the Auto Incremented value that
MySQL generates can almost never be used as the CRMEntity key, as there are
so many other tables that must have entries in crmentity as well.  While it
is theoreticaly possible that all the faq keys would not bump into any other
keys, I expect that in the code, there isn't a single place that the faq
key's autoincrement value is used.

    Joey

On 9/12/07, Enrico Weigelt <weigelt at metux.de> wrote:

> * Joey Novak <joey.novak at gmail.com> schrieb:
>
> Hi,
>
> > So, the company I am working for has decided to implement a CRM,
> > and they have budgeted a significant amount of money to do so.
> > We like all the features of vTiger.
>
> Cool. Maybe your company could provide some funds for completing
> several outstanding things :)
> (some of us are freelancers who mostly contribute during their
> customer projects and can be hired ;-))
>
> > The only thing that would stop us, is the lack of MSSQL support.
> > We may go with it ontop of MySQL, however a significant portion of
> > our companies money machine is composed of MSSQL DTS Jobs.
>
> Well, I clearly can understand you don't want MySQL, the SQL-enabled
> cardfile ;-P. But WTH MSSQL ?
>
> We've got PostgreSQL support. Instead of burning so much money w/
> M$ license fees and the whole (Windows-generated) troubleshooting,
> you can get an complete machine w/ pgsql on GNU/Linux or xBSD
> and build evrything optimized for your hw.
>
> > We have to decided and prepare a plan by the end of the week (this
> > has been in the works for a while).  And in an effort to make the
> > decision easier, I have spent some time working through the issues
> > I see that prevent vTiger from running on MSSQL.
>
> One of the major points (IMHO) is that MSSQL's understanding of SQL
> is even crappier than MySQL's.
>
> I *personally* wouldn't suggest porting to another homebrewn SQL dialect.
> Better spend a day for becoming confident w/ PostgreSQL ;-P
>

> cu
> Enrico Weigelt, metux IT service -- http://www.metux.de/
>
> cellphone: +49 174 7066481   email: info at metux.de   skype: nekrad666
> Embedded-Linux / Portierung / Opensource-QM / Verteilte Systeme

---
    http://www.joeynovak.com

    C) 803-409-9969 (Work Cell)
    W) 757-233-0834
"Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes."

Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.
    --Bill Gates

Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.
    --Bill Gates

Cope with Life, go buy a slurpee!
http://www.slurpee.com/games.html