[Vtigercrm-developers] Fwd: Patch: import that deals with duplicates

xavier dutoit vtiger at sydesy.com
Thu Mar 8 04:46:29 PST 2007

> > > If you want to get all files you only have to do a svn export
> > >
> http://vtiger.fosslabs.com/svn/vtiger/vtigercrm/branches/5.0.3/./$LOCALDI
> > >RECTORY
> >
> > Is this how you use it ?
>
> No. I use:
>
> svn
> diff --old=
> http://vtiger.fosslabs.com/svn/vtiger/vtigercrm/branches/5.0.3/@$OLDRELEASE--new=
> http://vtiger.fosslabs.com/svn/vtiger/vtigercrm/branches/5.0.3/@HEAD
>
> And patch it by hand. Then you look for DB changes and change the database
> if
> needed.
>
> > It should be as simple as a "svn update", even between branches,
> shouldn't
> > it ?
> No.

Ok, based on my experience with other projects, I know for a fact that it is
possible to keep your local modifications and benefit from svn updates
without having to create patches between versions.

> > Because of changes in the structure of the source between the checked
> out
> >
> > > source and the deployment you have to build a diff if you want to
> update
> > > a working deployment and update by "patch".
> >
> > Well, svn should deal with the change on the source, that's its job.
>
> But your deployment differs with the source.

Yes, but again it shouldn't be a problem. Can we imagine two seconds a use
case scenario ?

I've fixed a bug on the 5.0.2 and there is a new 5.0.3 version. I want to
use it, but, of course, to be sure my patch is still existing.
They are three scenarios:
1) The bug is still on the 5.0.3 (and my fix still work)
2) They have applied it as offered and I need to "forget" my patch
3) They have fixed it, but with a different patch than what I submited

Only the last case should need my intervention. I expect the SCM to deal
with the others smoothly.

I think the problem is that you are expected to change your working branches
for every minor version. In other OSS softwares, the main versions (4.2, 5
and 5.1) are branched before the dev, and the minor ones after (as
mainstones while producing the patches, new tar distos).

ie. you always work in the same branch 5.n for all its live and you only svn
update, and have to branch only when you go from 5.0 and 5.1.

I mentioned something like that a few months ago, would it be possible to
consider it or am I the only one thinking that would be saving a lot of time
without any additional problem ?

Look at:

> http://vtiger.fosslabs.com/svn/vtiger/vtigercrm/branches/5.0.3/schema/DatabaseSchema.xml

Brilliant, thanks.  Could you recommend a way of using these to generate
mysql commands with the diffs ?

X+