[Vtigercrm-developers] Richie, Gopal or vtiger representation

Sreenivas Kanumuru svk at vtiger.com
Wed Aug 8 00:53:42 PDT 2007

Hi Clement,

We do follow this list closely.

I had a good conversation today with Joe Bordes (Tsolucio) and heard his primary concerns:
Lack of proper documentation & resources to help new developers get started with vtiger.

Cumbersome process for creating new modules, and adding/removing modules.

Not involving the community in setting the roadmap and feature development

Ignoring contributions (bug fixes, .etc) from the community

and lastly, lack of promotional opportunities for partners on the vtiger website.
All of these are areas where we need to act, and communicate better (on items 3 & 4). You'll see us responding to these in the coming days, weeks, and months.

I also talked to Brett Hooker (Roarz) and got very useful input. Brett has worked with Joomla extensively and feels that Joomla's modular architecture is something to aim for as we try to make it easy for developers to create extensions/plugins on vtiger. Brett mentioned that Joomla's compartmentalized design has enabled more than 1800 extensions to date, which is pretty impressive.

Brett brought out the distinction that unlike  Joomla, which isa completely community driven effort, vtiger has a core product team,supported by a community. Clearly, the structure for collaboration isdifferent. We need to to putin mechanisms in place that enables more free flowing contributions. To begin with, the core vtiger architecture needs to enable this. That is a priority for the next major release. We'll share some thoughts in a few weeks time as we embark on this. With your support, we hope to make significant progress before the end of this year.

I would like to thank both of them for their input, and welcome more such conversations. We are determined to make vtiger a thriving community.

Regards,
Sreenivas

---
Sreenivas Kanumuru
Vice President,  Business Development and Solutions
vtiger

Office: 1 (408) 716-8592
Cell: 1 (408) 836-5810

----On Tue, 07 Aug 2007  clement chazarra <chazarra.clement at gmail.com> wrote ----

                                                                                    Well, we come back to the recurrent problems of communication between vTiger and the community..
Since 4.2.3, I have been following vTiger, trying to contribute at my level, but already the communication was very difficult, subscription or no subscription... Some times answers came pretty quickly but mostly it was very difficult to get the support you expect.

Already questions raised about the lack of feedback from vTiger team to the community, but after a while came the  development of version 5, so I decided to stop pursuing vTiger with my concerns, and even if I paid for support, I didn't ask a question for months, leaving the team to the development (At this time I understood that the same people developed and supported, I may have been wrong.. I hope).

vTiger 5 came out and after a while came back indoors for major bug fixes... And now 5.0.3 is out, which is great, major improvements, but still, the key functionalities are still buggy (Migration / emails / Versionning). Anyway at this point, I felt like a reborn of vTiger, many people were excited, and we also get promises about a better communication... but so far, it's not true..

For sure, when vTiger reply on the forum or list, it sounds very kind, considering the needs and requests of the community, but being polite is not all, it isn't enough, how long do people as Joe have to pursue vTiger team to get an answer? And we are not talking about people who just use vTiger, we are talking about contributors, the heart of an open source project. Without contributors, I don't see the point to be open source. Personally I stopped replying to forums a while ago (shame on me) because I don't feel the dynamic I expect.

Come on vTiger, assign somebody to this list, somebody to refer to, which will pass all the serious communication to you, with a feet in your team and the other in the community, a person well known from us capable to represent us in your meetings.

It's time for a change..

With kind regards ;)
Clem

On 8/7/07, David V. <davidv.net at gmail.com> wrote:Joe,

Thanks for the good work you have done for vtiger.
Please don't stop.

David V.

Reach hundreds of potential candidates - http://jobs.vtiger.com