[Vtigercrm-developers] how to insert bug into trac?

Tim Smith smith.timsmith at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 18:48:01 PDT 2006

The problem is that trac is designed for those developing the application,
not users of the application.  Just for grins, I tried to act like a user
(or someone who doesn't know the way of the vtiger developer) and looked for
how to find out if a bug is fixed and if not then how to report it.

These are the steps I went through:
1. Went to http://www.vtiger.com
2. Clicked on the "developer" tab
3. Saw "View Bugs <http://vtiger.fosslabs.com/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/report>" so I
clicked there.
4. Looked for a way to search bugs to make sure my bug isn't known... Saw
"custom query" so I clicked it.
5. Stared a while... not the most friendly search engine for most users.
Most people just want to search for the error text.
5.1. I imagined Joe searching for a keyword of "profile" so I searched
that.  No good.
5.2. I then imagined Joe searching for a summary containing "TEXTAREA
description" so I searched that.  No good.
6. At this point, you might figure you should add a bug.  So how would you
do this?  The menu bar gives these options

   - Wiki <http://vtiger.fosslabs.com/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/wiki>
   - Timeline <http://vtiger.fosslabs.com/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/timeline>
   - Roadmap <http://vtiger.fosslabs.com/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/roadmap>
   - Browse Source <http://vtiger.fosslabs.com/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/browser>
   - View Tickets <http://vtiger.fosslabs.com/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/report>

None of those would have anything to do with reporting a bug.  So I went
back and clicked "View
Bugs<http://vtiger.fosslabs.com/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/report>"
again.
7. Okay, average user is now stumped or frustrated.  Advanced user would
start looking through the wiki.
8. Bang.  Came across what Allan is talking about.  Though I would rather
see a link that says "Reporting bugs" that then tells me to request access
from Richie.

So here are my comments:

   - Provide a link from the vtiger.com support and developer tabs that
   go straight to the list of known bugs:
   http://vtiger.fosslabs.com/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/report/1
   - Provide a link on all report pages that allows adding a new bug
   report.  Call it a bug report, not an issue.
   - Provide a simple way to search for an error message on "Tickets -
   Reports".  This form could route directly to the "custom query".

Also:

   - When custom query form is first loaded, always include summary and
   keywords.
   - Change the button that removes search items on the custom query from
   [ - ] to [ X ] which is better known for removing items.

Regards,
Tim

OnwealdTim