[Vtigercrm-developers] Postgres Integration in 4.2.5

Jeff Kowalczyk jtk at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 13 14:50:46 PST 2006

Joel Rydbeck wrote:
> Mike / Allan / Jeff,
>
> My understanding of the plan for PostgreSQL in the 4.x generation is
> that there will be a window to accept it into the 4.2.5 release.  What
> would work best from a timeline for making the changes?

The original idea was to keep
vtigercrm/branches/4.2_postgresql_integration short and sweet, so that it
could be a good artifact for the same work that must go into
vtigercrm/trunk before vtigercrm-5.0.0beta1.

I'd like to contribute to postgresql integration testing and bug
reporting. Knowing there is no foolproof migration route from mysql to
postgresql, I can't really deploy my first vtigercrm semi-production
instance on mysql.

I propose the following:

- Lets make vtigercrm/branches/4.2_postgresql_integration from
vtigercrm/branches/4.2 as soon as the integrators are ready to start
committing. Word from a few of the parties that they're ready is enough
assent, IMO.

- I'll volunteer to keep vtigercrm/branches/4.2_postgresql_integration in
sync with late changes to vtigercrm/branches/4.2 leading up to
vtigercrm/tags/vtigercrm-4.2.4. They should be few anyway, so the purity
of branching only after vtigercrm/tags/vtigercrm-4.2.4 is outweighed by
the practicality of getting the integration started now. Change velocity
on vtigercrm/branches/4.2 is likely at its lowest ebb during -rcX status.

- As soon as vtigercrm/branches/4.2_postgresql_integration can bootstrap
into postgresql and load prepared datasets (like the sample dataset), I
and a presumed whole bunch of other people will be testing its
functionality. I'll try to organize and verify the trouble reports into
trac tickets that the integrators can act upon.

Thoughts?