[Vtigercrm-developers] how to make vtiger more community oriented?

Richie richie at vtiger.com
Thu Jun 15 03:59:22 PDT 2006

Point taken and updated to the team.
Apropos the link, it will be updated asap.

Gopal, please do the needful.

Richie

---- Sergio A. Kessler<sergiokessler at gmail.com> wrote ----

  richie, I support you all the way, but to resume my experience and all
the projects I've seen (I work with open source for more than 10
years):

- put a communication chanel for users, and leave them helping each other.
 (this is done with the forum)
- put a communicattion chanel for developers, and support and
encourage *every* attempt from a developer for serious help
 (this should be this mailing list)

what is serious help ?
is an attempt to help from a guy that *evidently* has looked at the source code.

and no matter how stupid or crap a patch or the help look,
but you never should ignore this kind of help,
if the patch or change is wrong you should encourage and *motivate*
the author to continue working on it.

there is nothing more demotivating that post a patch, and simply be ignored.
I guarantee that this developer would have a really hard time to
continue to help.

and, btw, are you the only one from the vtigercrm team on this list ?
I have never heard of others developers except from you and saint...

if that's the case, it will be good if you tell them to susbcribe here
and participate helping every attemp of *serious* help.

and, I can't see any mention of this mailing list in the web pages.
it is there ?

regards,
/sak

On 6/14/06, Richie <richie at vtiger.com> wrote:

> I will justify the case however difficult it might be.
>
> Yes, we did not answer the queries at certain points in time. But at that
> time, the focus was on getting the job done ourselves and that too fast and
> get the product out faster!There was also an impatience with teaching the
> other folks about how to do it as in the same amount of time, we would have
> got fixed the particular issue and lots more.
>
> Now, we realise that the product has grown too big to be handled by us alone
> and that too at the given speed that we work, it will not be proper to take
> up
> all the tasks ourselves. Hence the query for more community effort.
>
> You can state it as a phase of growth that we had to go through.
> There was no intention of "not-helping-out-folks". It was pure impatience.
> I will hasten to state that "it was not arrogance".
>

> "There should be some developer
> documents, API documentation and above all good support in
> Forum/Mailing List. I know that vtigerwiki has some stuff, but it's
> insufficent for a programmer. I strongly believe that making a good
> knowledge base is the key in Open Source Projects."
>
> Manilal, we are working on that. As you are aware, we are trying to get the
> code in a more simpler format (well, we are trying) and we are trying to get
> the
> APIs out too. If you are a bit more patient, we will have some How Tos too
> out in the open. The forum has stopped being the point for dev discussions.
> The mailing list is intended to be the place for dev discussions. Hence we
> did not answer the questions (okay, this might be a lame excuse but it holds
> at times :-) )
>
> /sak, I know it is like looking into the funnel upside down but that is how
> it is.
> We do want to change but it will take some patience and should I say
> guidance to do the same. Manilal, I do remember asking you to be patient as
> we were working on building the basic guidelines itself.
>
> The entire process of taking out junk code, opening up the APIs with
> relatively
> proper documents, the planned website and wiki changes are all towards that
> end only.
>
> If you would have observed, I have myself admitted that I should have been
> more open and should have shared the street-talk that we have here with the
> community in large. Again, if you would have observed, I have started doing
> the same. It is not for taking credit but just to prove that I am trying to
> make things different from what they were. It will take time.
>
> I have in fact shared all the To-do lists of mine with you and realise that
> I should have done it long ago.
>
> Better late than never.
>
> I take all the blame for these "issues". I assure you we do want to be more
> open. Let us make a beginning. We over here, will keep the past in
> perspective so that the same mistakes are not committed again.

> [...]
This vtiger.com email is sponsored by: Zoho Writer. Are you still using your desktop word processor for typing documents? Try the AJAX enabled, collaboration-friendly online word processor, Zoho Writer for FREE instead!
http://zohowriter.com/?vt