[Vtigercrm-developers] commit mailer 'svnmailer', 'post-commit-hook', repository list host

Jeff Kowalczyk jtk at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 4 15:21:11 PST 2006

svnmailer
---------

Thinking ahead a few days to when people are committing to the new repository,
there may be a need to continue the commit-mailing list, which people may want
in addition to the trac timeline view.

subversion has a default mailer script (mailer.py), but if/as long as we're
setting it up, svnmailer might be a better idea:

http://opensource.perlig.de/svnmailer/

post-commit-hook
----------------

The reason I'd like to have svnmailers enhanced configurability is that I think
we'll want to use the trac-post-commit-hook script:

http://projects.edgewall.com/trac/browser/trunk/contrib/trac-post-commit-hook

for the awesome ticket-closing feature:

"A fairly complicated example of what you can do is with a commit message
 of:

  'Changed blah and foo to do this or that. Fixes #10 and #12, and refs #12.'

This will close #10 and #12, and add a note to #12."

We need this in the worst way. There are hundreds of CVS commit messages that
say only "fixed bug". This is a carrot and stick approach; write a good checkin
message, and you don't have to manually close a bug. write a checkin message
that says 'fixed bug', and someone is going to come after you with a stick ;)

If that workflow catches on with committers, I'd be inclined to see if I can
push some extra information about named ticket status/closures into the commit
email, assuming it runs after the post-commit-hook.

Repository List

Has the repository list also migrated from:

   vtigercrm-repository at lists.sourceforge.net

to a different host? We have this weird limbo situation where the sourceforge
list(s) still receive whatever mail that gets sent. That's whay I never noticed
(despite it being announced) in gmane that the devel list had really and truly
changed hosts.