[Vtigercrm-developers] Naming conventions

Jeff Kowalczyk jtk at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 24 08:05:25 PDT 2006

Fathi Boudra wrote:
> > * In almost every case we would not need a .Z release and thus omit
> > it.
>
> errors in tarball and zip files is a bug (so Y). Distro uses package
> checker, in your example, this is distro packager which cleanup the
> source post or pre installation. in that case, for next release, we must
> check if permission are correctly set or we have do a checkout insead of
> an export (just an example). (...)
>
> Definitely, Z is an extra version number which is between Y and distro
> suffix. It can be removed, taking as convention to use Y or distro
> suffix depending of the bug case.

Agree, lets plan on .z being almost unheard of. The only solid example I
can think of is a mysteriously corrupt .tar.gz or .zip, where the archive
corruption is fixed next time you make the archives from the same source
files (e.g. svn export).

In that case, I would think it appropriate to append a .z (e.g. .1) after
the latest released w.x.y and upload the new archives to the download
point.

Let's say that anything that has an identifiable problem and an action
taken to fix it would count as a bug, and increments the .y

The bugfix action(s) should almost always be in the form of source commits
or svn:property commits to the repository. Fix the repository, then make
new release archives from a fresh svn export.

There is nothing wrong with a .y release that follows only minutes after
the last one. If one finds a critical bug, fix it and make a .y release
ASAP. Every project has a few Brown Paper Bag releases.