[Vtigercrm-developers] Naming conventions

Fathi Boudra fboudra at free.fr
Thu Aug 24 01:04:10 PDT 2006

Le mercredi 23 août 2006 21:32, Jeff Kowalczyk a écrit :
> By .Z I mean packaging errors in our tarballs and zip files, not linux
> distro packaging, which as you correctly cited, use their own suffixes.
>
> On Gentoo linux, for example, when an ebuild is revised, but the
> software's tarball is unchanged, you append -r1 to the ebuild name. e.g.
> vtigercrm-5.0.0_rc1-r1.ebuild is the second revision of packaging for what
> we call vtigercrm-5.0.0rc1
>
> For example, we have dozens of files in trunk marked executable. Likewise
> with files which do not yet have svn-eol:native.
>
> If problems like that slip through to a release such as vtigercrm-5.0.0,
> we would fix it with a vtigercrm-5.0.0.1.
> * In almost every case we would not need a .Z release and thus omit it.

errors in tarball and zip files is a bug (so Y). Distro uses package checker,
in your example, this is distro packager which cleanup the source post or pre
installation. in that case, for next release, we must check if permission are
correctly set or we have do a checkout insead of an export (just an example).
Maybe a script like "make dist" will be usefull to prepare proper source
archive checking permissions, etc ...

Definitely, Z is an extra version number which is between Y and distro suffix.
It can be removed, taking as convention to use Y or distro suffix depending of
the bug case.

> * Whether we omit .Y when zero is a matter of taste. I'd prefer to use it,
> but we should be consistent once decided.

agree, i prefer to use it too.