[Vtigercrm-developers] postgres support in v5

Jeff Kowalczyk jtk at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 27 09:13:15 PDT 2006

Allan Bush wrote:
> To support Postgres there are about 3 or 4 things you need to consider
> on all the queries made.  If you see my post in the forums
> http://forums.vtiger.com/viewtopic.php?t=2597 I've outlined the problems
> that need to be addressed (yes that's for a different version but the
> problems will be the same, except for the first problem which an adodb
> upgrade solved).

I think it would be useful to have a trac ticket listing those four
requirements, plus any additions or refinements you encountered since your
work with vtigercrm/branches/4.2_postgresql_integration.

The vtiger team can help you help them by adding "refs #(number)" to any
checkins they make in the coming weeks that follow your ticket's
postgresql-readiness advice. Committers will eventually internalize those
guidelines when writing new code. You (Allan) will also have a nice
indicator of how much postgresql prep work has been done at any given
point, and can better decide when to jump in.

I agree that you'll want to have a somewhat slower change-velocity (e.g.
during beta) before giving it a thorough conversion and sign-off as to its
readiness.

IMO adodb API usage that is limited to mysql (or any single backend) is a
bug and fixing it would not be a new feature, so I think it's OK to
fix/add postgresql and other backend support during the beta period.

Disclaimers at install-time that there is no announced support for
migrating from one database backend to another would be wise.