[Vtigercrm-developers] vtiger current status and call to action

Alan Lord alanslists at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 10:33:15 GMT 2021

On 25/11/2021 19:48, Rubén A. Estrada Orozco wrote:
> sorry, I didn't mean to upset anybody. I was just giving an honest
> opinion which (I think) totally relates to the thread. But it's ok, I
> won't insist.
>
> I don't think allowing everybody to merge fixes is a good idea. Maybe 1
> or 2 volunteers would be a good idea. That person should be
> knowledgeable and experienced in Vtiger. I would think of Alan Lord for
> example. But he would need to be willing to do it, which I'm not
> sure about, since that can take quite some time.

lol - I was waiting for my name to crop up :-D

This question/discussion comes up every couple of years or so.

My own take is this... I think we all have to remember that vtiger the
company doesn't really make any money from the Open Source product.
(Perhaps they get some cross platform traffic but I suspect not a huge
amount to be honest).

In terms of activity on code.vtiger.com my *assumption* about what
happens is probably that most of the time, they have little time to
dedicate to the open source platform, but once in a while there is, and
that is when you get lots of merge requests committed and more energy
applied toward the next release of the Open Source platform.

 From a personal perspective, my business is almost exclusively vtiger
with customers all over the world- the majority of our income comes from
developing/extending/integrating the Open Source platform but we also
have multiple customers using the Cloud service too.

I'd be "OK" with having privileges to commit MRs but unless I was to
have a good idea about the longer-term strategy for the next release or
two I would be quite hesitant to be honest.

HTH