[Vtigercrm-developers] Let's make 7.4 fruitful

S T Prasad stprasad at stprasad.com
Thu Sep 17 09:39:51 GMT 2020

Hello everyone.
Everyone has made excellent suggestions regarding features.
I would like to suggest some database schema rationalisations as well. For
example, addresses
There is lane / street, code/zip and others too.

Another is to lose the _seq tables, not if many of them are use. crmentity
it does use.

I also recently gave it a spin on mySQL 8, performance was better,  but
some QueryGenerator query build failed.
Particularly, ones that use date comparators as == ''

Also, the check for Birthday is today, is a hack. Hasn't improved in ages.
We should have an is Anniversary, so any date can be checked against today,
ignoring the year component. Could be Date of Joining is Anniversary and so
on.

The picklist type fields also are created by default as large
VARCHAR(255)s. This eats up lots of space in table row sizes, sometimes
requiring manual intervention to prevent mysql from crashing.
VARCHAR(32) should be enough, IMHO.
We did have one client who had long answers to questions made as a
picklist,  and he had some 200 questions. Table died and mySQL crashed. The
solution was to use short labels for answers, reduce the column size and
use language labels created specific to fix his need. Thats an extreme
case, but I guess VARCHAR 255 is too much

Thanks everyone

With best regards,

S.T.Prasad (Skype: stprasad at stprasad.com)
Founder and Chief Shikari
http://www.vtigress.com
The Purr-fect mate for vTiger
Certified Solution Partner for Asia and Africa