[Vtigercrm-developers] How to import and overwrite data without changing record IDs

nilay khatri nilay.spartan at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 12:21:15 GMT 2020

This is a very common challenge, users want to update certain data of
records in CRM by importing a CSV.

Let us say Leads, we want to update Lead Status, so the CSV sheet contains
2 columns Primary Email and Status.

If we import the CSV and set the duplicate check criteria in step 2 on
Primary Email and import following things would happen:

- quite possible all the other data in fields will be wiped out
- if the system contains more than 1 Lead with same email id, it would
delete them, keeping only 1
- the record IDs will change

If I talk about contact module that is full of surprises, contact Id is
available to select in the duplicate selection criteria, but not available
in the field mapping!

In the end we want to achieve a very simple thing, import a List of Leads
and update respective status without changing record Ids or deleting any
other matching record in system.