[Vtigercrm-developers] get entity parent in workflow custom function?

Alex Hall ahall at autodist.com
Mon Jun 18 19:42:41 GMT 2018

Hello list,
I've been asked to write a custom function for a workflow to run whenever a
contact is updated. We have a custom field called "is primary contact",
which is just a checkbox. However, each organization can only have one
primary contact at a time. That means the custom function has to move the
"primary" designation to the newly selected contact. Put another way, the
function has to do these tasks:

* get $entity's "is primary" custom field value
* exit if the newly set value is false, as there's nothing to update
* get $entity's parent organization (remember that $entity is from a
contacts workflow)
* set all the children contacts of $entity's parent organization to not be
primary, while setting $entity itself to be the only primary

My main problem right now is finding $entity's parent. I can't figure out
how to do that. I've looked at the source code, but there's nothing in that
class that seems to be a way of accessing the parent. What's the trick to
this, or can it not be done how I want? Is there another way anyone can see
to get this working? Hopefully I've explained enough to make sense. Thanks.

--
Alex Hall
Automatic Distributors, IT department
ahall at autodist.com