[Vtigercrm-developers] Vtiger 7.1 RC Released

Alan Lord alanslists at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 07:52:23 GMT 2018

+1 Nilay,

This is pretty similar to what we do.

Branching is "cheap" and easy with Git so I agree with this approach.

Where a bug is rather complex or needs focussed attention/testing, do it
on a branch (we use the issue number as the prefix to the branch name, e.g.

1234_BugWithFeatureA

For _new_ feature development, again create new branches (with sensible
names for the features).

You work on that (and yes you can keep it synchronised with master if
you pull in the right direction).

Then when the bug looks good, it is merged into to the "staging" or main
development branch for testing.

If the bug is small or fairly trivial, a pull request can be made
directly against the staging branch.

Once that staging branch is at a point where the devs consider it is
ready for a release, tag it (maybe as an RC), test it (and *delete* the
already merged-in bug and feature branches). If it passes all the tests
[<cough>unit tests</cough>], merge into master and tag the full release.

HTH

Al