[Vtigercrm-developers] Vtiger 7.0.0 Published

Błażej Pabiszczak b.pabiszczak at yetiforce.com
Thu May 25 12:10:50 GMT 2017

It's been a while since I last posted so let me chip in.

The fact that Vtiger was about to release a new version was easy to
guess even without any official notice, you just have to observe GIT.
That's why I don't get why you're surprised. The time needed for bug
reporting was also pretty long, so once again I'm surprised why some of
you didn't manage to report them. Waiting with a new version just
because the partners didn't start to adjust their modules is also lame.
For more than 10 years Vtiger has been skipping many critical errors and
hasn't been testing their new versions, not to mention unit tests and
automated tests, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that the new version
is published with many bugs. ODOO does exactly the same thing [1500+
errors] and SuiteCRM [500+ errors, including many critical ones]
whenever they publish a new version [also the ones marked as LTS]

Suggestions that you should migrate to SuiteCRM really make my day - as
if the situation there was any better. Apart from the fact that SuiteCRM
code quality is really poor, is not compatible with standards, has never
gone through any security audit [and even if they have, they didn't
comply with the audit's guidelines], they additionally can't accept any
criticism, especially substantive criticism. Please tell me how can you
publish an LTS version when you got 500 bug reports and many of them are
critical?

Once again I see that someone wants to make a fork... Unfortunately when
you become the producer you have to switch your priorities, first of all
you have to ask yourself if you want to provide your client with a
modern and safe system, or you want to concentrate on the quantity
instead of the quality. Unfortunately most of the systems [I'll only
enumerate the ones i know from the inside] will never be implemented in
any large company:

Vtiger7:

 	* SensioLabs: 623 Critical 4917 Major 14513 Minor 16996 Info
 	* Lines of code: 735,594
 	* Nb of violations: 37049

SuiteCRM:

 	* SensioLabs: 493 Critical 9872 Major 6212 Minor 13188 Info
 	* Lines of code: 626,362
 	* Nb of violations: 29765

CoreBOS:

 	* SensioLabs: 637 Critical 10301 Major 7608 Minor 16274 Info
 	* Lines of code: 527,438
 	* Nb of violations: 34820

YetiForce

 	* SensioLabs: 510 Major 1287 Minor 1250 Info
 	* Lines of code: 262,278
 	* Nb of violations: 3047

How is it possible that coreBOS, that has only been "improving" Vtiger
5.4 for the past 3 years has an error every 15 lines of the code?! How
is it possible that Vtiger has 470.000 more code lines than YetiForce,
but has significantly fewer features? It even came to this that Vtiger,
when introducing changes to the Reports module, started using structural
programming?!? It's unbelievable that you can nowadays write code of
this low quality.

How comes nobody patches the critical security threats in the system?
The Mobile, Webform, and MailManager modules should've been removed 5
years ago, they are so full of holes, and so poorly written that it's a
waste of time explaining all the flaws. Additionally, the system itself
has a ton of bugs, including critical ones, eg. :XSS [in several dozen
places, for example modules\MailManager\views\Relation.php],
SQLInjection [also several dozen places, for example
modules\Settings\Picklist\actions\SaveAjax.php].

You also have to remember about all the errors in the system layer:

 	* Import is not moved out of webroot,
 	* ZIP files are not properly parsed, which allows for uploading any
PHP file and executing it,
 	* Mail attachments stored in app folder are available without
authorization,
 	* Incorrect HTML parsing,
 	* No brute force attacks protection,
 	* You can display users without being logged in,
 	* No separation between admin panel and user panel,
 	* Uploading external JS files and sending confidential info about the
system to external servers,
 	* and so on.

Security is a process, a very expensive one. It took a very long time
for my two best programmers to fix the errors inherited after Vtiger.
The worst, though, is that since you are Vtiger's partners, all you
focus on is selling some pseudo modules for a couple of dollars to small
companies.

---
Z poważaniem / Regards

BŁAŻEJ PABISZCZAK