[Vtigercrm-developers] SMTP not working

Holbok István holbok at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 17:47:43 GMT 2017

In the file class.phpmailer.php downloaded from the GitHub Master about
the line 48 you will find the charset defintion. It is by default is
iso, but we need utf-8. In the vtiger original this definition is:
public $CharSet  = 'UTF-8';

I highlighted it with red.

class PHPMailer
{
     /**
      * The PHPMailer Version number.
      * @var string
      */
     public $Version = '5.2.22';

     /**
      * Email priority.
      * When null, the header is not set at all.
      * @var integer
      */
     public $Priority = null;

     /**
      * The character set of the message.
      * @var string
      */
public $CharSet = 'iso-8859-1';

The vtiger uses other settings also, but the utf-8 is the main.

In any vtiger 6.x system replacing the old mailer class files, including
the require smtp class at the top will work the change. I also uses it
as Alan in all of my systems.
The last version of the mailer classes can be downloaded from here:
https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer

And here is the test code of the SMTP connection:
https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/blob/master/examples/smtp.phps
Inserting this piece of the code, setting credentials inline, and
turning on the SMTP debug mode, you will able to see what is happening.

Once I had run into trouble with a vtiger smtp connection and the debug
showed the real why: there was a white space added to the password. I
spent 3 hours to debug it :-(
Sometimes it is simple like a stone.

Regards:
Istvan