[Vtigercrm-developers] How to extend feature such as Global Search without core modifications ?

Błażej Pabiszczak b.pabiszczak at yetiforce.com
Thu Mar 10 13:38:47 GMT 2016

I'm glad someone appreciates our changes, and adds them to different
project, Vtiger included [especially that we take a lot from this
project].

I recommend you to be very careful, as far as transferring our solutions
to Vtiger is concerned. For a regular user both systems might seem very
similar, but looking at it code-wise - not only do we change
functionalities, but we also change the operational philosophy of
certain solutions often. And what's most important, we modify them where
needed, unlike Vtiger, where solutions are made on the level of an
additional module, instead of fixing the mechanism in the system engine.

When it comes to differences between YetiForce and Vtiger OS in the
search engine:

	*

We divided the search field from the uitpe10 - Vtiger searches in the
same way for both by default, and for us these are 2 different
configurations.
	*

In the panel:

	*

We added configuration for different fields we search by, for different
mechanisms [search, uitype10].
	*

We added the option to enable/disable modules the global search engine
searches by.
	*

We added the option to set the order of modules where the search engine
starts searching for data.
	*

We added a mechanism used to "refresh" columns to search by, for example
when we add a column the labels should be refreshed [as many of you most
likely noticed- and as we reported in 2014 - the labels are not
refreshed when records are imported to the system]

Of course, these are visual changes, but we also introduced a bunch of
changes in the engine itself, as well as many other mechanisms, that
aren't visible at first glance, for example:

	*

Marking in the search results to which records we got permissions, and
to which we don't [then we for example see the company name, but we
can't open it], and it can be configured at the role level, where we
define whether a given user is allowed to search for records he doesn't
have permissions to.
	*

The option to go from the search results to list of records narrowed to
the records we searched for [this way the results can be further
processed, by searching by columns for example]

A functionality like this cannot be a module!!! These are basic engine
mechanisms and any change or development of them should be modified
right there. Here we got an example of a commercial
module:https://marketplace.vtiger.com/app/listings?id=47 [4], which has
significantly fewer possibilities, than the ones introduced by us, and
which we shared for free, and which take around 2 - 4 hours to be
transferred to vtiger's engine. The only problem is that we added that
more or less a year ago, but there's no one to transfer it, and develop
or adjust it, and the only developers here who have enough knowledge in
this field, are solely interested in their own commercial modules.

Why is such a basic functionality like "search" so crippled, and why
hasn't anybody done anything about it since 6.0 release two years ago?
---

Z poważaniem / Regards

BŁAŻEJ PABISZCZAK
_Chief Executive Officer_
M: +48.884999123
E: b.pabiszczak at yetiforce.com

W dniu 2016-03-09 11:28, Preexo napisał(a):

> I had a closer look at the yetiforce extension and realized they also had it
> integrated in their crm, like you had it in the middle of the vtiger.
>
> I think with vtiger it's always better to not mess with the core and start a
> separate extension. So I have extracted your backport into a new repository
> on github: https://github.com/preexo/vtiger-global-search [1]
>
> The next few steps will be like this:
> * Test, and define what is not working, what is still missing
> * Review backported code and fix missing/outstanding issues
> * Test again and report back to the broken issues
> * Release
>
> I haven't had a close look yet, I'm sure a lot of stuff is still missing or
> not working since I'm not sure everything relevant for the global search to
> work has been transferred into the separate extension.

Links:
------
[1] https://github.com/preexo/vtiger-global-search
[2]