[Vtigercrm-developers] 6.5.0 Release Update

Preexo preexo at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 29 05:57:16 GMT 2016

Prasad-14 wrote
> You are right... our goal is make the Opensource a product that drives
> Ondemand platform.
> But certainly gap on features would exists due to pace of release that
> happens on the cloud platform
> and control it provides on each migration.

@Prasad - I can't believe that you found a worse way than not replying at
all to a disappointed community: Leaving this reply, which I call out a lie.

I don't even need elaborate why this is bs, it's been to obvious for the
last two years. Now you are releasing a version with 0% backported
fixes/features/changes. The contribution speaks for itself, no need to
pretend anymore. Cut that crap, I am getting so sick of this hypocritical
"open source is so important for us". Nothing personally Prasad, I actually
think you are a great guy fighting for the open source project (seems like
it's only you left from vtiger side), but your companies policy sucks balls.

Sreenivas Kanumuru wrote
> 1. Features and Usability (UI) - With 6.0 release 20,000 hours of work has
> gone into enhancements of the open source product that have been
> documented. 6.5 release that is upcoming will have support for new PHP
> version to improve performance
>
> 2. Process (collaboration) - We made some progress in collaboration with
> the move to code.vtiger.com.

@Sreenivas - you are writing the same thing all the time, but it still
doesn't answer any of the concerns or contributes to the discussion. Vtiger
6.0 is over 2 years old, it's amazing how much work you put in that, but do
you want to rest for the next ten years now? You can't expect things to
magically be improved, you have to contribute!
The PHP7 support needed a hard push from the community to happen and vtiger
hasn't contributed any to that. I understand that you are proud of
code.vtiger.com, but you can't install a gitlab server and then sit back and
relax, it only starts there. I suggest you do some homework, go look at
other open source projects and see what open source ownership actually
means. It does not mean providing a git server.

Sreenivas Kanumuru wrote
> As i mentioned previously, our cloud business's success is based on open
> source success and will continue to do so (unless we are ready to spend
> millions of dollars in advertising). We understand that, and our actions
> to improve open source stem from that. We will continue to make Vtiger
> open source better.

@Sreenivas - "continue"? I don't see anything to continue mate. You have one
brave soldier left (Prasad) who is doing everything he can to allow US as a
community to contribute. You haven't contributed shit lately!

@everyone crying for a fork - The fork is there, as Alan and Alan have
explained multiple times, just start your own repository, use vtiger as the
upstream and pull all changes regularly. But don't think that maintaining
your own fork is anything that can easily be done. I have tried changing
many things and got stuck again and again because vtiger is not actually
anything beautiful to work with. It's quite the opposite, it's pretty ugly
and I have often thought that starting something new would possibly be
easier than steering this project out of the dead software dead end.

I am eyeballing tryton since a while already, but the promising web client
project has not made much progress lately. I think it's missing enthusiastic
people like us: https://github.com/tryton/sao/pulse
Vtiger has us enthusiastic and passionate people, even though we don't like
it and we complain about it again and again, I am actually getting sick of
us complaining about it too. We are turning in circles, just read old posts
from 8 years ago... It's been the same bloody discussion since then, nothing
has changed.