[Vtigercrm-developers] How to extend feature such as Global Search without core modifications ?

Preexo preexo at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 17 07:29:16 GMT 2016

I have been struggling with this forever too. I always worked around it by
ignoring existing and removing elements and hooks via JQuery in my custom
extension (works, but always seemed really dirty). The overwriting as Alan
suggested seems much cleaner and straight forward, so I just gave it a shot
and added a new custom extension to my installation with a Javascript file
containing:

Vtiger_Header_Js("MySearch_Header_Js",{},{
    basicSearch : function() {
	alert("I need to see this first");
        console.debug("bar");
    },
});
(function($) {
    $(document).ready(function(){
      console.debug("foo");
    });
})(jQuery);

The file gets loaded though the HEADERSCRIPT, I even see the "foo" in the
console, but I don't manage to overwrite the basicSearch function, I never
see the alert. What am I missing?

How do you properly overwrite a function from another class? I know
Javascript, but have never done it this way and actually can't really find
any documentation on this either.

Alan, can you help us out a bit further, what's the key to overwrite the
basicSearch function in the Vtiger_Header_Js class through a custom
extension properly?

Thanks and best regards