[Vtigercrm-developers] How to extend feature such as Global Search without core modifications ?

John Crisp john at reetspetit.net
Tue Feb 16 13:19:40 GMT 2016

On 15/02/16 19:04, Alan Bell wrote:
> On 13/02/16 03:47, Stacey Johnson wrote:
>> > without having to pay around 100€.
>>
>> Most of vt extensions are far a lot overpriced. It simply discourages
>> users and limits revenue of both vt and developers.
>> Seems like programming skills not going with marketing together :-)
>
> there is a reason why we had, for a while, both the lowest and highest
> priced extensions in the store. We were trying to figure out where the
> pricing should be for modules. There is no magic answer, however it does
> appear that single digit prices don't get dramatically more sales just
> because they are cheap. If the module delivers features that people want
> then price isn't much of a factor, people don't impulse buy vtiger
> modules like they do for phone apps.

Yes I understand the business mechanics of it. (I'm not a tech guy at
all really)

Posting different extensions at different prices is no judge really.
Yes, same product at differing price points may help.

I also understand from your point of view that you might as sell one at
100 instead of 10 at 10... once you multiply it up you have to do an
awful lot more sales to make the same margin. 10 at 100 versus 100 at
10. That's a lot more work for you in support etc.

Our own business works the same way - yes we can drop prices, but it
just is not worth it as we would have to up our turnover massively just
to stand still.

> We also had a look around the Sugar and SalesForce app exchanges, there
> are quite a few Sugar things in the 1000 region and a lot of the
> SalesForce extensions are around 10 per month per user or 500 per month
> per instance.
> It all kind of depends on what they do, but in general I don't think
> €100 as an unlimited users, pay-once price is likely to be harmfully
> overpriced.

It really depends on how many users you have..... In my case only 5
currently. And pay once ? For every future version of vtiger ? I guess
not......

No, it isn't a big expense per se (and I don't know whether you price
differently for different parts of the world as that can make a big
difference for some), but if I wanted 3 or 4 modules.... that can be a
lot per head in a small company where every penny counts.

You then have to start questioning the value of the product.

I am sure most companies that use vTiger have a much larger user base
and that is your target market, so us little fish have to make a choice.

(Note that I am quite happy to pay for support for OS products when
required. Part and parcel of OS, and running a business)

What makes a difference is that if I upgrade from 5.4 to 6 I instantly
have to pay for various things that were effectively free before. That's
a turn off for a start.

Paying for extra/new items - fine. But you get the feeling that as a
little fish you have been thrown on the spear of corporate profit, and
that doesn't feel very good - you just feel like a commodity to monetise.

I'm sure a lot of vTiger users left Sugar for this reason. vTiger just
feels like it is heading back to become just another Sugar.

B. Rgds
John