[Vtigercrm-developers] Licensing in commercial extensions

Stefan Warnat ich at stefanwarnat.de
Sun Aug 21 22:30:56 GMT 2016

Hy,

Thanks for mention my method.
*A short explanation for someone, who don't know the method I use:*
Any license system require some static facts of the client system to be
related to. So the developer have the chance to see if someone use 1
license in 100 different systems.
I use the URL, Vtiger and Module Version to activate the installation of
this module on my server.

But often some "basic" clients change the domain/directory of vtiger or
simple switch from HTTP to HTTPS, which automatically deactivate the module.
I must say, in my situation it is a special case: Because my module is an
process management software, which, in most powerfull setup, will automate
tasks an employee have to do, and which are not optional, but a must have.

Also in best situation there are some minutes with deactivated license, if
admin know what to do. Within this time, If the process is not executed,
maybe a client don't get login, invoice, ...
That's why I only completely deactivate the administration of my modules,
until the license key is set.

But: This is a method, which also could misused by clients, which take some
work to copy workflows manually to another system. I accept this.
But especially with PDF-/EmailMAKER it is much easier, then within my
modules, to copy settings to unlicensed system.

But ITS4you also read/write within this mailinglist. That's why your post
could be helpful ;)

*@Matus*: Because this also happens to my clients, I could understand this.
In most cases it is fixed with one click, but often this is forgotten by
the one, who administrate the server.
But it looks for the customers of our clients, they are working with
cracked software or for our client, we sold cracked software to him.
Maybe you integrate an automate email in the moment a PDF is generated with
wrong license. Or simple completely don't generate the PDF.

Stefan

----
*Freelancer at Webdevelopment*

Web: http://www.stefanwarnat.de